IC7-G IDE and OnChip SATA configuration problems-HELP!

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Markbot, Aug 16, 2004.

  1. Markbot

    Markbot Guest

    I'm having trouble getting these devices to work together on the OnChip SATA Controller. I have searched and scanned through the ABIT forum and see that others are having similar problems. I can't seem to find a definitive solution to this problem so I though it might be worth posting. Here is a list of devices I'd like to get to work together by using IDE Channel 1, IDE Channel 2 and SATA 1 and SATA 2:

    PIONEER DVR-107
    WD 2000JD 200GB SATA 7200RPM 8MB HARD DRIVE
    LITE ON 16X-DVD INTERNAL EIDE #LTD-163B
    ADDONICS 7-IN-1 IDE DIGI DRIVE

    On one IDE ribbon cable I have the Pioneer DVR-107 set as master and the Addonics media card reader set to slave.

    On the second IDE ribbon cable I have the Lite-On DVD-ROM 163B set to master with no slave drive.

    I have the Western Digital 200 GB SATA connected to SATA-1.

    I can not get the OS (Windows XP Pro SP2-fresh install) to boot with the two ribbon cables connected to IDE Channels 1 and 2 and the SATA drive connected to SATA-1 or SATA-2. I have tried various combinations of switching the devices around on the IDE cables and various boot sequences and settings for the OnChip SATA Controller in the BIOS to no avail.

    I have successfully had the Pioneer and Addonics connected on the same IDE channel ribbon cable and the SATA hard drive connected on SATA-1 or 2 and working. Then I wanted to add the Lite-On DVD drive to the other IDE ribbon cable and could not get it to boot to Windows. All 4 devices are detected by the BIOS and are listed when the controller is set to IDE/Enhanced mode. But I can not seem to find the right combination of BIOS settings or IDE/SATA connections to get the PC to boot to the SATA hard drive with all 4 drives connected.

    Except one time when I mashed a bunch of buttons together on the keyboard it booted to Windows. Windows New Hardware Wizard came up and found some drives and a "controller." I thought I had done it. Then upon rebooting, no go.

    When I try to boot I either get SYSTEM BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER or a screen that says something like it could not boot because I have a hardware device configuration issue or just a blank black screen.

    All hardware is brand new. The Lite-On was the drive originally connected solo which I used to install Windows XP Pro Corp SP2. It was a Master on IDE Channel 2 and the WD SATA was on SATA-2. I was suprised that I didn't have to hit F6 and install some special driver for the controller during the windows installation process. Actually if I get this issue worked out, I'd like to add an IDE hard drive as a slave to the Lite-on as a video capture and DVR storage drive.
    If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. Thanks.

    Other devices installed:
    IC7-G v 1.1 with BIOS 25
    ATI 9800 All-In-Wonder Pro AGP 8X
    Hercules GameTheater XP PCI sound card with breakout box
    1 GB (2x512MB) Kingston DDR 400 DIMM 1 + DIMM 3
    INTEL PENTIUM 4 3.2E GHZ W/1M CACHE 800MHZ
    ANTEC 1040 SOHO Tower with 400W PS

    Markbot

    Markbot, Aug 16, 2004

  2. Markbot

    TomG Guest

    you didn't have to hit F6 because you probably have the SATA channel in
    enhanced mode or another similar mode which would have it running as an IDE
    controller. to need to install the drivers via F6, you would need to enable
    raid mode and the raid ROM. note that you can use the controller in a
    non-raid configuration even with raid mode enabled and the raid ROM enabled.

    in fact, I would go that route... set raid mode, raid ROM enabled and then
    have the IDE Bus Mastering enabled as well. you would need to set the boot
    priority to add-in device and then add-in device would need to be set to
    onchip SATA. in this fashion, you would then use the F6 driver install
    approach. be sure to have flashed the board to the newest bios available
    and have updated your Intel SATA drivers as well so that you are using the
    newest bios/driver pair available. see if this approach gets you
    anywhere...

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 130,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Aug 16, 2004

  3. Markbot

    yuma Guest

    I think you forgot to set the harddisk boot priority in the advance bios
    features, you have to set the disk on the sata channel as first so on
    top of all devices detected

    yuma, Aug 16, 2004
  4. Is this Addonics card a PIO or UDMA device? If it is PIO only the chances
    are it will drag down the performance of the DVD-RW drive, and so it'd be
    worth trying the DVD and the CD-ROM on IDE1 (set both devices to Cable
    Select when using 80 wire cables BTW), and the media card on its own on
    IDE2.
    Easy peasy. In Integrated Peripherals, set the OnChip SATA controller to
    RAID mode, and enable the SATA-RAID BIOS. In Advanced Setup, set the primary
    boot device to Onchip SATA RAID. In the three boot device options, make sure
    HDD-0 is above everything bar the floppy disk (and preferably above that
    too), and set Boot Other Device to disabled.
    That's because you didn't have the SATA controller in RAID mode. You will
    need to hit F6 to install Windows once you have the controller set up
    optimally, and may have to perform a recovery installation to get it to boot
    once you've changed the settings.

    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom