    I've installed a Penrium 4 2,4 GHz Prescott on my IC7-G. So far I know my
    Prescott has that HyperThreading. How can I enable that? Tried in BIOS,
    couldn't find anything about Hyper Threading.

    Flemming Hansen, Mar 26, 2005

  2. Flemming Hansen

    Jim Guest

    Flemming,
    Page 3-7, item 3.3 Advanced BIOS Features,
    in your manual

    Jim, Mar 26, 2005

  3. Page 3-7, item 3.3 Advanced BIOS Features,
    Thet menu item doesn't exist in my BIOS. The first item in 3.3 Advanced
    BIOS Features is "quick power on self test". I've upgraded the BIOS to the
    newest one, but still missing the item. Does it mean that my P4 Prescott 2.4
    GHz doesn't support Hyper Threading? And I'm missing some other BIOS
    settings as well. I find some items in the user manual, but they don't exist
    in my BIOS setup. What could the reason be?

    Btw, I've installed one 512 MB RAM module. Should I install 2 modules at
    least?

    Flemming Hansen, Mar 26, 2005
  4. Flemming Hansen

    Jim Guest

    Flemming,
    And I'm missing some other BIOS
    Forget to properly clear the CMOS after flashing to latest BIOS{ic728}?
    Page 2-3, item 3 & note 'Warning' at bottom.
    What's on the box it came in?
    Should clearly state such on box.
    If you have them, yes. If installed in DIMM1 & DIMM3 -or- 2 & 4 (color
    coded), then you'll get dual-channel memory usage.

    Jim, Mar 26, 2005
  5. Flemming Hansen

    Ed Forsythe Guest

    Hi Flemming,
    Go to Device Manager/Processors - If you see two processors you have Hyper
    Threading enabled or so I've been told. I have an ABIT 1C7-Max3 and I don't
    recall anything in the BIOS pertaining to HT but I'll check again.

    Ed Forsythe, Mar 26, 2005
  6. Flemming Hansen

    Ed Forsythe Guest

    I made a boo-boo. Should have looked before I spouted off. My SoftMenu
    "Advanced BIOS Features" shows "Hyper Threading - Enabled." I just forgot
    about it - Sorry :(

    Ed Forsythe, Mar 26, 2005
  7. Forget to properly clear the CMOS after flashing to latest BIOS{ic728}?

    I've done that a couple of times.
    The page is about installing system memory, is that right?
    I don't have the box any longer, but I've used a benchmark program (can't
    remember the name now) and it said that my CPUS supports HT, but that
    feature was not enabled.
    I've installed 1 RAM module in DIMM1. Does it mean that the RAM is slow
    because of none dual channel?

    Flemming Hansen, Mar 26, 2005
  8. Are you certain you have a Prescott CPU?

    The 2.4 Prescott runs on a 533 MHz. bus and does NOT have HTT.
    The 2.4 Northwood runs on an 800 MHz. bus and DOES have HTT.

    Colon Terminus, Mar 26, 2005
  9. Yes absolutly sure. Well, CPU's idle temperature confirms that (49-52 C) :eek:)
    Well, that's what I'm not sure. I'm almost sure that my prescott supports
    HT, and a benchmark programs says it, too. And another thing.... installed
    an 8x AGP video card, but in BIOS I can't change the speed( Advanced Cipset
    Features- AGP Data Rate Capability).That item is missing in BIOS, bus it's
    there in the manual. I think there is something wrong with my BIOS even if
    I've cleared the CMOS a couple of times and flashed with the newest
    update...

    Flemming Hansen, Mar 26, 2005
  10. Flemming Hansen

    Jim Guest

    Flemming,
    Hmmm, what a unique way of putting that. Guess it might be, since 2
    properly installed gives 'dual-channel' and faster memory access.

    Jim, Mar 27, 2005
  11. Flemming Hansen

    Leon Rowell Guest

    After flashing a BIOS if power isn't switched off or the power cord
    removed from the wall and the CMOS reset there will often be items
    missing from the BIOS setup screens.

    Leon Rowell

    Leon Rowell, Mar 27, 2005
  12. After flashing a BIOS if power isn't switched off or the power cord
    Done. They weren't there even before flasing the BIOS. The items have never
    been there. Does it mean that I bougt a defect mother board?

    Flemming Hansen, Mar 27, 2005
  13. "Flemming Hansen" replied to Colon Terminus thus...
    Come again? CPU idle temperatures don't in themselves confirm anything about
    which type of core you have. What does Sandra, CPU-Z or Wcpuid say?
    What, exactly, makes you "almost sure"? Does the CPU box mention HT?

    Either way, if you are sure the processor is a 2.4GHz part, and if you are
    sure it's a Prescott, it does *not* support HyperThreading. As CT has
    already correctly said, the only 2.4GHz P4 that does support HT is the
    Northwood 800MHz FSB 2.4C.

    This would explain why the HT enable/disable option is missing from your
    BIOS - it is only displayed when the installed CPU supports this function.
    Which benchmark?
    IIRC this function was removed from later BIOS builds.
    It doesn't look like there's anything wrong with BIOS, or board. Seems like
    the processor simply doesn't have the functionality you thought it did.
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

    Richard Hopkins, Mar 27, 2005
  14. No. It means the functionality in the current BIOSes doesn't exactly match
    the older builds described in the manual.

    Richard Hopkins, Mar 27, 2005
  15. That doesn't mean what you think it does. Fact is that the Prescott core
    does support HyperThreading, but on the 2.4GHz example, Intel disabled it at
    the factory. You can't re-enable it.
    Yes, it means you're only getting around half the memory performance that
    the board is theoretically capable of delivering.

    Richard Hopkins, Mar 27, 2005
  16. Come again? CPU idle temperatures don't in themselves confirm anything
    about
    Are they programs or items in BIOS again? :)
    I think that I saw it on the box, but I'm not sure anymore after all that
    expert explanations :)
    Future Mark 3D Mark 03, System Info
    Well, I guess there is no question left. I should buy Northwood if I want
    Hyper Threading. :eek:) I didn't know that there were a Prescott version of P4
    when I bought my CPU. I couldn't understand why the CPU was so cheep. I can
    see why now :eek:)

    Flemming Hansen, Mar 27, 2005