    it. What settings should I use for the hard drive, a Seagate Barracude
    160Gb SATA? Its the only hard drive in use. Any help much appreciated.

    Ray

    Ray Copper, Apr 20, 2004

  2. Ray Copper

    Jim B. Guest

    If your manually setting up the cpu the FSB needs to be set to 200Mhz.

    Jim B., Apr 20, 2004

  3. Ray Copper

    TomG Guest

    if the NB is set to by CPU and the CPU is auto selected, then you are using
    800 FSB. otherwise, manually select the cpu in Softmenu and set the NB to
    800.

    if you want to make the best speed out of the drive, then I would have the
    drive on SATA 1 for the Intel ICH5R controller and then set the SATA mode to
    raid mode with raid bios enabled even though you only have one drive on the
    controller. that will enable the PCI bus bypass for the controller so that
    the drive data does not have to share the PCI bus bandwidth.

    you would then have to use the F6 keystroke when installing XP to install
    floppy based drivers for the Intel SATA controller so XP can use the drive.

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 130,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Apr 20, 2004
  4. Ray Copper

    Ray Copper Guest

    Thanks Tom, with your advice above and advice you had given Bill
    Roberts previously, managed to get it to boot on the CD and start the
    Windows XP installation, which had eluded me thus far. However, a new
    problem is that Windows XP setup now freezes or re-boots at the point,
    or just before, where it starts the partition setup. Any ideas please?
    I have flashed the latest BIOS, ver 23. The F6 setup disk I have is
    ver 1.21, could that be the problem. Do I have to install only the
    Intel driver at F6 time?

    Hope to hear from you soon, I'm desperate. Spent £2000 on kit and
    can't get it working :)

    Regards,

    Ray

    Ray Copper, Apr 21, 2004
  5. Ray Copper

    TomG Guest

    did you raise the DDR voltage to 2.7 or better?

    TomG, Apr 22, 2004
  6. Ray Copper

    Ray Copper Guest

    Yes, raised it to max on the BIOS. Windows XP setup keeps causing a
    reboot, at various places in the routine, I'm starting to wonder if
    the PSU isn't up to the job. Would you consider that a reasonable
    diagnosis Tom?

    Regards,

    Ray

    Ray Copper, Apr 22, 2004
  7. Ray Copper

    TomG Guest

    very easily could be a PS if it isn't a name brand and good wattage unit.
    raising the DDR voltage to around 2.7 is usually good enough with some cases
    higher voltages being required.

    TomG, Apr 23, 2004
  8. Ray Copper

    Ray Copper Guest

    It's a Q-Technology 300w. I have a Hercules AIW 9800SE connected to it
    as well, and that recommends a minimum 300w supply. I've ordered a
    400w to try now, as I've increased DDR voltage to the max already.
    I'll get back to you when it is installed, if I may?

    Ray

    Ray Copper, Apr 23, 2004
  9. Ray Copper

    Mecho Guest

    It's a Q-Technology 300w. I have a Hercules AIW 9800SE connected to it
    What brand of 400w psu?

    Mecho, Apr 23, 2004
  10. Ray Copper

    TomG Guest

    let us know how things go after the new PSU gets installed...

    TomG, Apr 24, 2004
  11. Ray Copper

    Ray Copper Guest

    Hi Tom,

    Installed a new 500w PSU, reset the BIOS, and all's well. Easy eh? :)
    Will now go back to your original reply to optimise the drive. Thanks
    for your help.

    Regards,

    Ray

    Ray Copper, Apr 24, 2004
  12. Ray Copper

    TomG Guest

    good luck with it...

    TomG, Apr 24, 2004
  13. Ray Copper

    @ndrew Guest

    You may find this handy .. and buy a good and I do mean good quality
    PSU.

    http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

    regards

    @ndrew