    give me the best performance; is reverting to non-hyperthreading operation
    as simple as disabling it in the BIOS, or will I have to reinstall Win2K? Or
    should I even worry about it?

    Jeff Drumm, Nov 26, 2003

  2. Jeff Drumm

    John Lewis Guest

    On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 16:09:59 -0600,
    Turn off in BIOS is A-OK (at least for WinXP, don't have Win2K).

    Programs not specifically designed for multi-processor operation
    should have it turned off to maximise CPU resources available.

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Nov 26, 2003

  3. Jeff Drumm

    TomG Guest

    Don't worry about the HT being enabled, personal opinion.

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 118,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Nov 27, 2003
  4. Jeff Drumm

    Jeff Drumm Guest

    Thanks, Tom. My primary purpose for this PC is video editing (lots of old
    home movies to be converted to digital format and rendered for DVD burning
    in the short term). It's your opinion that for most purposes, HT enabled or
    disabled in Win2K won't have a significant impact in performance and
    stability (Intel's recommendations notwithstanding)? Everything seems to be
    working fine, with the exception that rendering to Xvid MPEG4 with Ulead's
    VideoStudio 6 seems to cause the application to hang just as rendering is
    finished.

    If that's the only codec I have a problem with, I'm not going to sweat it.

    Again, thanks!

    Jeff Drumm, Nov 28, 2003
  5. Jeff Drumm

    TomG Guest

    well, you could always disable it and see if the OS will reconfigure on its
    own... XP seems to, at least in my experience. not sure about win2K. if
    you can get the OS to handle the reconfigure, then you can test against the
    previous configuration.

    TomG, Nov 28, 2003
  6. Jeff Drumm

    Jeff Drumm Guest

    Disabling hyperthreading in the BIOS does seem to convince Win2K that there's
    only one processor, and it doesn't complain. However, I did discover an
    unfortunate side effect . . .

    One of the applications I decided to try to determine if performance for
    single-threaded applications would improve decided to wrap itself around the
    axle, and suck up all available CPU cycles. It wouldn't even let me bring up
    the task manager to kill it. The mouse cursor was still responsive,
    but I couldn't get enough of the processor's attention to do anything else.
    So I powered off.

    The same application, running with hyperthreading enabled, seemed to be much
    more manageable . . . er, killable :)

    Jeff Drumm, Nov 29, 2003
  7. Jeff Drumm

    TomG Guest

    running under XP, I have not come across any application that performed
    poorly under an HT environment. admittedly, I have not done a side by side
    comparison of HT versus non HT but I am not willing to keep switching back
    and forth either...

    TomG, Nov 29, 2003