IC7-G Sil Img SATA Raid 1 configuration

Discussion in 'Abit' started by mikewarby147, Mar 12, 2006.

  1. mikewarby147

    mikewarby147 Guest

    Hi guys,

    I am a little new to using RAID on my Home PC, but understand the basic
    principles. I bought an IC7-G mobo where I have Raid 0 on the drives
    SATA1 & SATA2 (The Intel controller, XP installed here) and Raid 1
    across SATA3 & SATA4 (All my Data here).

    Everything was working ok, but I am finding the Windows utils confusing
    and can't find any info on what they mean. This especially applies to
    the SATARAID utility provided for the Silicon Image controller.

    The problem is if the PC does not shut down properly, I get weird
    messages from the Silicon Img drives. During bootup, I get a message
    saying "Raid Set 1 is in Critical Status", but when I enter the utility
    it says that it is in sync, and won't let me choose any of the options
    like Rebuid or resolve conflicts.

    If I exit it still boots up into windows correctly, but from within the
    SATARAID utility if I go to Set 0 and look at the members it says
    Channel 1 dropped.

    I have no idea what this means. Is my mirroring still working? I
    suspect with words liek dropped that it isn't, but I can't do anything
    from this utility, and I am not allowed to do anything from the BIOS
    utility. Can anyone advise what has happened and what I should do.

    Also, while creating the mirror it asked whether I wanted online or
    offline. I have tried using both and it seems to me only offline
    mirrors the disk by copying everything over. Can someone explain what
    this means too.

    I would be very grateful for any help anyone can offer, or even point
    me in the direction to find out more about these specifics of the RAID
    utlities.

    Thanks.

    mikewarby147, Mar 12, 2006