IC7-G System Crashes

Discussion in 'Abit' started by jsp21c, Dec 17, 2003.

  1. jsp21c

    jsp21c Guest

    Hi, I've just built a new PC tower based on an IC7-G mobo and I'm using the
    latest BIOS (19) and the latest Intel RAID drivers and a P4 3 GB, 800 FSB
    and 1024 MB PC 3200 DDR RAM
    I have no previous experience if using SATA, but put everything together and
    loaded up Win XP after formatting the disks. During installation I had
    several crashes and had to start over but eventually got the OS installed,
    but still kept getting crashes.

    I've tried RAID 1 on the Silicon chip using 2 HDDs and RAID 0 on the Intel
    chip again with 2 HDDs, but both systems still crash & I get a message in
    the start up screen about and Incomplete RAID set on RAID 1 or a missing
    disk on RAID 0. Both systems can be recovered , but it doesn't take long for
    another crash to happen.

    I think one of the HDDs must be faulty. Does anyone else know what might be
    wrong ?

    I'm currently running on an IDE HDD taken out of my old PC and everything
    seems OK.

    Another thing I've noticed is that my processor is listed twice in the
    device manager and system info. I have Hyper Threading enabled, is this the
    cause ?

    Thanks.

    jsp21c, Dec 17, 2003

  2. jsp21c

    TomG Guest

    the processor is listed twice due to hyperthreading, yes. try bumping up
    the DDR voltage to 2.7 volts and relax the timings by taking it off of By
    Spd on the Advanced Chipset page and setting the timings intentionally to
    the highest settings just to see if that stabilizes things. the DDR voltage
    increase alone might be enough to stabilize but the memory timings could be
    doing it too.

    once you get things stable, then you can start tightening up the numbers...

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 120,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Dec 17, 2003

  3. jsp21c

    Luxor Guest

    Did you change the game accellerator settings. Set them all to auto if
    you did change them. All this stupid thing does is OC your ram timings
    and can cause crashes.

    Luxor, Dec 18, 2003
  4. jsp21c

    jsp21c Guest

    Thanks Tom G & Luxor,

    The Game accelerator was on Auto. Increasing the voltage on the RAM seems to
    have solved the Windows crashes, but I'm still gettting the RAID set up
    crashing. The Intel Application Accelerator tells me one disk is missing
    even after creating a new RAID volume and re installing Windows.
    I'm running on an IDE drive for the moment and have disconnected the SATA
    cables.

    The memory timings are :
    CAS latency 2.5
    Act to precharge delay 8
    DRAM RAS# to Cas# Delay 3
    DRAM RAS# Precharge 3

    I'm certain I have a faulty Seagate SATA drive now -- I moved an old IDE
    drive into the new PC tower and loaded Windows into it. I did get a couple
    of crashes even on this but increasing the voltage to the memory seems to
    have done the trick and everything is stable now.

    jsp21c, Dec 18, 2003
  5. jsp21c

    jsp21c Guest

    I've had the PC crashing all afternoon, hardly getting past start up and
    doing several starts in safe mode.

    For an experiment I've changed the Intel chip in the BIOS from RAID to IDE
    and everything seems to be working stable.

    The disks show up in My computer and have the info on them which was put
    there when I installed them last as a mirrror RAID set.

    I have been on the Intel site and double checked that I have used their
    latest software -- which I did, but still couldn't set up a RAID system. The
    PC was highly unstable even when booting from an IDE HDD while the BIOS was
    set to RAID, but changing the BIOS now from RAID to IDE for the SATA disks
    seems to have done wonders for stability.

    jsp21c, Dec 18, 2003
  6. jsp21c

    Dion L Heap Guest

    Are you overclocking? Make sure that you have your PCI timings set at fixed
    66/33 I know that having these run faster can cause problems.

    regards,

    Dion L Heap
    www.thetophouse.com

    Dion L Heap, Dec 18, 2003
  7. jsp21c

    jsp21c Guest

    I'm not overclocking, just set up the new system with default values.

    jsp21c, Dec 18, 2003
  8. jsp21c

    TomG Guest

    okay, you did remember to download the newest F6 setup files for the ICH5R
    SATA from the Intel site, right? you need those to go with the newer Intel
    SATA bios that is included with the 1.7 and newer bios sets.

    you also should load the newest version of the Intel Application
    Accelerator - Raid Version to take full advantage of features and
    performance of the Intel SATA controller.

    if you really have a failed or failing drive, then that would be an issue
    that needs to be resolved, obviously, but ensuring that you have the newest
    SATA drivers loaded during the OS install (F6), is installing to SATA
    mounted drives with the SATA bios enabled, or once the OS is up and running,
    is a must.

    TomG, Dec 18, 2003
  9. jsp21c

    TomG Guest

    there is nothing inherent in the Intel SATA controller that causes
    instability in my experience. Be specific and tell us what version drivers
    you have for the installation and are you hitting F6 to install the OS when
    the drives are on SATA (you must be or the OS wouldn't be seeing the
    drives...). there is a lot of us out here using the Intel SATA controller
    for raid, including myself and I have the OS on the raid as well... no
    issues.

    TomG, Dec 18, 2003
  10. jsp21c

    Dion L Heap Guest

    Same here, Raid 0 with OS on my raid, overclocked and tuned up, still rock
    solid stable.

    regards,

    Dion L Heap

    Dion L Heap, Dec 18, 2003
  11. jsp21c

    jsp21c Guest

    I'm using the Intel Floppy Configuration Utility at F6 --- IAAAR_Floppy.exe
    version 2, 7/7/2003 and I'm able to load Windows.

    Then when the system is loaded, I'm adding the Intel Application Accelerator
    RAID --- IAAAR353_MULTI.EXE 12/11/2003

    However, since my last message, one of the SATA disks has crashed on IDE and
    now isn't showing up in the BIOS, so I'm fairly convinced that this has been
    the cause of my problems, because it's always the same one which drops out
    of a RAID set up too.

    jsp21c, Dec 18, 2003
  12. jsp21c

    John Lewis Guest

    Probably.

    When you do finally set up RAID properly, use identical disks for
    the RAID pair. It can save a lot of grief.

    And 8meg/7200RPM disks are very inexpensive these days,
    unless you are silly enough to go the Raptor route.

    Why anybody with a single-processor motherboard would ever
    use Raptors, heaven alone knows. A lot more money ( per bit)
    than common-sense.

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Dec 18, 2003
  13. jsp21c

    TomG Guest

    you have the correct drivers and the IAA-R as well so great job there. I
    thought I had read an earlier post from you regarding the bad drive but
    then, at least with my news reader, a post showed up saying you had
    instability again so I wasn't sure what was going on.

    try to get to the bottom of the drive problem... I guess I would be sure
    that all power and SATA cable connections are secure and go from there...

    TomG, Dec 18, 2003
  14. jsp21c

    jsp21c Guest

    I was using a pair of Seagate 120 GB 7200.7 SATA disks and they were
    purchased together with the intention of running on RAID 1

    The IDE disk I've pulled out of my old PC is a Seagate Barracuda 7200 rpm 60
    GB disk and it's working fine as long as the other disks are not plugged in
    and set to RAID.

    jsp21c, Dec 19, 2003
  15. jsp21c

    FatHippy Guest

    In message <3fe220b6$0$30899$>, Dion L Heap

    [snip]
    Out of interest, what type of memory do you have in your board, and is
    it in dual channel configuration ?

    FatHippy, Dec 19, 2003
  16. jsp21c

    Dion L Heap Guest

    Corsair XMS3500 Cas 2 mem, (2 x 512 sticks) running as dual. P4B 3.02 with
    HT and speeds are set at 156 x4 = 624 which gives a CPU speed of around 3.58
    gig, mem is set at 5:4 multiplier giving 195Mhz, = 390DDR. All nice &
    stable.

    regards,

    Dion L Heap
    www.thetophouse.com

    Dion L Heap, Dec 19, 2003
  17. jsp21c

    FatHippy Guest

    That's useful thanks.
    I currently have 2 x 256MB Corsair 3200's (didn't buy a TwinX set) and
    it is about as stable as jelly on a pneumatic drill. Reboots itself
    several times a day. I've run memory tests on my modules - all clear,
    and I have tried fiddling with voltages and speeds until I have nearly
    gone daft. I've gained some stability, but it's still getting right on
    my tits.

    My next port of call is to buy a matched pair of 3500 or > modules and
    stick those in. I don't think there's anything actually wrong with the
    3200's, it's just that they are not a matched pair and this board
    stretches them to their limits in dual DDR configuration (in fact,
    beyond their limits if my experiences are anything to go by)

    FatHippy, Dec 22, 2003
  18. Have you tried using only one at a time?
    That would reveal whether or not Dual-channel is the problem.

    Have you tried swapping the modules around?

    Jens C. Hansen [Odense], Dec 22, 2003
  19. jsp21c

    Skid Guest

    Forgive me if someone has mentioned it already, but flashing to the latest
    bios is highly recommended. Corsair was known to be a bit wobbly on early
    Springdale and Canterwood chipset boards, so Abit and other brands adjusted
    the bios to be compatible with a wider variety of memory. Upping the DDR
    voltage to 2.7 or 2.8 can also help.

    Skid, Dec 22, 2003
  20. jsp21c

    FatHippy Guest

    Not yet.
    Given the postings on the Corsair forums and peoples experiences here, I
    am pretty sure it is a memory issue.
    Yes. No difference.

    FatHippy, Dec 29, 2003