    the case is open than when it's closed. The CPU and the PWM temps usually drop
    by ~2 C with it open.

    Thx

    Kurt, Jun 4, 2004

  2. Kurt

    TomG Guest

    get a can of dust-off for computers and invert it and spray small blasts in
    specific areas until you figure it out...

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 130,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Jun 4, 2004

  3. Kurt

    Kurt Guest

    Novel idea, Tom ;o)

    That one should've smacked me in the face almost immediately - a little
    "Freezone".

    Kurt

    Kurt, Jun 4, 2004
  4. Kurt

    DDR400 Guest

    The IC7-G measures temps from the temperature diode on the CPU. That means the
    readings will be higher than you're used to for heatsink temps.

    A two degree rise is not unusual for taking the sides off.

    There's been lots of panic over Abit temp readings being higher and it's all
    unfounded. The CPU diode will naturally read higher, expecially under heavy load,
    than any equivalent heatsink reading. There is signficiant temperature drop across
    the thermal connections from the cpu die to the heatsink.

    The cpu is rated for 70 C at the case top center. I doubt your CPU die temps are
    even that high and are within spec some tens of degress higher than for t-case.
    Fully loaded, the heatsink would read 20-30 degrees lower than the cpu die. If
    you're still concerned, fasten an indoor/outdoor RadioShack thermometer sensor to
    the heatsink and look.

    I'd be more concerned about the power supply temperatures and case air flow. It
    sounds like you have a good case. My case would rise ten degrees inside with the
    sides on, because ventilation was unplanned way back then.

    DDR400, Jun 5, 2004
  5. Kurt

    TomG Guest

    but the question was, where is the system (or "case") temp read from, not
    the CPU temp.

    TomG, Jun 5, 2004
  6. Kurt

    Kurt Guest

    Tom is correct, I am intersted in the location of the sensor that measures the
    "case" temp.

    I have an Antec "Overture" case which is a somewhat compact desktop style that,
    in my estimation, is NOT one of the better cases for cooling (it's part of my AV
    setup, I use it to do vidcaps & burn DVDs - AIW Radeon 9600 Pro).

    Just for reference (and in case someone may really be interested), here are the
    temps I get with the bugger at an ambient room (case intake) temperature of 25 C
    - P2.8C, O/C to 3.0, Stock Intel HSF:

    Case Open Case Closed

    CPU Idle 42 C 47 C
    PWM Idle 35 39
    SYS Idle 34 30

    CPU Load 61 C 66 C
    PWM Load 50 54
    SYS Load 34 30

    The Overture actually has the air intake thru the PS first, then over the MB,
    then out 1 single, temp controlled 92mm exhaust fan (kinda bass-ackwards). As
    you can see, the case temp sensor must be somewhere in the case intake air
    stream, close to where it exits from the PS, since the idle and load SYS temps
    don't seem to change.

    If you consider the thermal resistance of the HSF combo to be 0.4 - 0.5 C/Watt
    to ambient (actually, that's quite reasonable for the CPU chip/heat
    spreader/AS5/stock heatsink interface), those CPU temps don't seem to be out of
    line to me. At ~70 watts dissipation and 0.5 C/W, that would be a CPU to
    ambient temperature delta of ~35 C.

    Kurt, Jun 6, 2004