IC7-G with latest Intel Chipset Driver v6.2.1.1001 from Abit

Discussion in 'Abit' started by north_sea_brent at yahoo.mail, Nov 13, 2004.

  1. I have an Abit IC7-G motherboard running Windows XP SP2. It has been and
    is running fine. This morning I downloaded
    *Intel Chipset Driver v 6.2.1.1001 Released Date:2004-10-19*
    from Abit
    (ftp://ftp.abit.com.tw/pub/download/drivers/intel/inf_update/6.2.1.1001/6.2.1.1001.exe).

    I ran this program (6.2.1.1001.exe) which unpacked itself. Then I ran
    the unpacked program Setup.exe. This presented the same dialog windows
    as shown in the IC7-G user's manual Appendix A. In the final dialog
    window, I was asked to restart the computer. I restarted and everything
    is fine.

    But there were a number of mystifying aspects of this whole thing. I was
    hoping someone here could shed light on some observations.

    1) Abit's drivers download page
    (http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/drivers.php?categories=1&model=4)
    links to a release note for the Intel Chipset Driver v 6.2.1.1001 which
    is just the file readme.txt embedded in this download. The top of this
    file includes the line
    *Target Chipset#: Intel(R) 925X/XE*.
    This is not comforting since the IC7-G has the 875P chipset. I would
    expect to see some mention of 875P somewhere in that readme header area.
    Did Abit screw up by providing the wrong driver or is this just a
    quirkiness of Intel documentation?

    2) Another of the files embedded in the download was file devlist.ini. A
    peak inside of this file shows many references to chipsets 810, 820,
    830, 845, 850, 852, 855, 860, 865, and 915. But no references to 875.
    Shouldn't there be some reference to 875 too?

    3) If this was the correct download (despite all of the contradictory
    clues), how can I confirm that I actually have the latest drivers now?

    Confused. Any enlightenment appreciated.

    thanks,
    Brent

    north_sea_brent at yahoo.mail, Nov 13, 2004

  2. north_sea_brent at yahoo.mail

    TomG Guest

    well, one thing to be aware of is that Intel uses one chipset driver file
    (Inf file) for many chipsets. I can't speak to why they don't specifically
    list the 875 chipset but you got the correct chipset driver file.

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 130,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Nov 13, 2004

  3. Only if you're a conspiracy theorist. ;-)
    Doesn't mean what you assume it does. This chipset driver update is the
    first one to offer support for the 925XE chipset, which is why it's
    mentioned in the way it is.
    Never assume. Saves a lot of time and energy in the long run. ;-)
    There's an element of the second bit, but it's mainly you jumping to
    conclusions based on a quick peak into a couple of files whose function you
    don't fully understand.
    No. The 82865 and 82875 chipsets are virtually identical (indeed there's
    plenty of evidence to suggest that they *are* physically identical). It is
    thus unsurprising to find that the enumeration details for the 875P/ICH5
    chipset are contained within the 865.cat and 865.inf header files.
    There are no contradictory clues. As to how you can confirm that you have
    the latest, well, there haven't actually been any changes to the 865 and 875
    drivers since the 6.1.0.1008 build, so you were probably already up to date.

    As to how you'd make certain, well, if you installed the driver update, you
    have the latest drivers.
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

    Richard Hopkins, Nov 14, 2004
  4. Thanks, guys, for the responses. I guess no cause for concern on my
    part. I'm just leery of my own ignorance sometimes...

    Brent

    north_sea_brent at yahoo.mail, Nov 15, 2004