IC7 - Low HDD or DVD transfer rate on w XP, good on w98?

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Spirit, Dec 2, 2004.

  1. Spirit

    Spirit Guest

    I have problem with my Abit IC7 and transfer rate.

    I have dual boot, W98 and XP, and under w98 I have 2 or 3 times better
    transfer rate then on XP.

    HDD1 copy to HDD2 under w98 transfer rate is greater than 35000kBPS, and
    under XP is only 15000-17000kBPS.

    DVD copy to ATA or SATA HDD under w98 transfer is 10000-15000kBPs, and under
    XP is only 2500-3500kBPS

    Then I connect HDD1 and HDD2 on Promise Ultra ATA100 TX2 hdd controller, but
    always the same

    HDD1 on Promise, HDD2 on motherboard, still the same...

    I have bios v2.5, and chipset drivers v 6.2.1.1001, and I realy don't know
    why I have so bad transfer under XP, because on w98 everything works great.

    Does anybody have any solution how to solve that problem because I have no
    other
    idea?

    Spirit, Dec 2, 2004

  2. Spirit

    - HAL9000 Guest

    - HAL9000, Dec 2, 2004

  3. Spirit

    Spirit Guest

    I have problem with my Abit IC7 and transfer rate.

    Yes, HDD is recognised as UDMA 5, and DVD as UDMA 4, but transfer rate is
    just like w98 transfer when DMA is not enabled in device manager.

    Is there any other setting in XP when I must enable something to improve
    speed???

    Spirit, Dec 2, 2004
  4. Some discrepancies in transfer rate between these OSes aren't necessarily
    unusual, given that XP has a slightly slower native file system, as well as
    things like the Indexing Service and NTFS tracking features to slow things
    down further. Even so, your figures indicate a problem of some sort.
    Do you have the appropriate chipset and controller drivers loaded in XP?

    What file systems are you using (FAT32 on both drives)?

    Do you have the Indexing Service enabled or disabled?

    What virus scanner do you have installed (some are known to cause file
    system slowdowns in XP).
    If you answer the questions posed above it'll be easier to help you.
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

    Richard Hopkins, Dec 2, 2004
  5. Spirit

    Spirit Guest

    I have problem with my Abit IC7 and transfer rate.
    I think that difference in transfer rate is too big in my case.
    And I don't use NTFS. I have FAT32 on both sistems but for testing I
    formated one disk with NTFS file sistem, and had the same problem :-(
    I had the newest chipset and controller drivers.
    HDDs are recognized as UDMA 5, and DVD as UDMA 4.
    Yes. FAT32 on both systems.
    W98 is ond C disk, and XP is on D partition of the same disk.

    Hmm, sorry, I don't know what is Indexing service?
    Where can I disable/enable this, and what is better enabled or disabled?
    I have Norton Antivirus Corporate 2004 on both systems.
    Thanks for reply.
    Here is my answer, please help me to solve this problem.

    Marin

    Spirit, Dec 2, 2004
  6. Yes, I agree.
    Cool, that means we can rule out the file system as the cause of any
    discrepancies.
    It's built into WinXP, and is designed to make searching for files quicker.
    You can either disable the Service via the Services section inside the
    Management Console (or Administrative Tools), or you can uninstall it via
    Control Panel/AddRemovePrograms/AddRemoveWindowsComponents.
    Norton's consumer product is one of the AV suites known to cause slowdowns.
    I've no experience of the corporate edition, but seeing as they're largely
    the same product line it's a reasonable chance that there may be issues
    here.

    Try temporarily disabling the inline virus scanning (on both your WinXP and
    Win98 partitions for consistency) to see if the performance discrepancy
    narrows or disappears.

    Richard Hopkins, Dec 2, 2004
  7. Spirit

    Spirit Guest

    Indexing Service is on Manual Mode.
    I started manually indexin service, but transfer rate is the same :-(
    What is best to select in that menu, manual, automatic or disable?

    I try to disable NAV corporate, but nothing happend with my low transfer
    rate :-(((
    I think NAV is not the reason because I have instaled the same version of
    NAV on w98, and on w98 transfer rate is great!

    Do you have any other suggestion because I lost my nervs with taht problem?

    Spirit, Dec 2, 2004
  8. Spirit

    Spirit Guest

    Today I tryed with new empty hard disk (Maxtor SATA 160GB, 8MB cache).
    I formated disk with NTFS file sistem, and install Win XP, nothing else,
    just XP, and I have the same problem :-(

    Thats seems that problem is in XP, no in some other soft because my hdd is
    empty, just XP instalation (without any SP or anything else) and chipset
    drivers!

    Spirit, Dec 2, 2004
  9. Spirit

    TomG Guest

    do you have SP2 loaded? I was having very poor transfer rates after loading
    SP2 and it turned out to be related to Norton Anti Virus 2K4. If I disabled
    that (and for some I have read about, just disabling the NAV did not help,
    it had to be removed...) things transferred at a good clip... just a
    thought.

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 130,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Dec 2, 2004
  10. Spirit

    TomG Guest

    NAV and SP2 are known to have issues in some cases... I have experienced
    them and some folks had to actually uninstall NAV to get the situation
    corrected.

    TomG, Dec 2, 2004
  11. Spirit

    TomG Guest

    this doesn't mirror my experience with the IC7 but in all fairness, I run a
    raid 0 array on the Intel SATA so I cannot attest to the single drive
    performance. how is your SATA controller configured? did you enable raid
    mode?

    TomG, Dec 2, 2004
  12. Spirit

    Spirit Guest

    Yes, but you can test dvd to hdd transfer.

    Enable or disable raid, I get the same problem :-(
    And the same problem is with onboard ide controller and ide disk and dvd,
    and with aditional pci hdd controller Promise Ultra ATA100 TX2, and onboard
    sata controller.

    There are 3 separate hdd controllers, and the same problem ?!?!?!?!?

    Thats seems that problem is not in hw but in XP setting, because the same hw
    in w98 works great.

    What is in this fucking XP what cause this low hdd and dvd speed ????

    Spirit, Dec 3, 2004
  13. Spirit

    Spirit Guest

    Yes this is logical, but I have that problem with empty hdd, only XP
    instalation and chipset drivers, without any service pack, antivirus or
    other software.
    Nothing, only XP, and transfer rate is too bad...:-((((

    Chipset is Intel 875, and it seems that XP don't know how to work with that
    chipset or there is any other XP setting wich I must sett ???
    :-(

    Spirit, Dec 3, 2004
  14. Spirit

    - HAL9000 Guest

    The winxp default installation (with only necessary hardware or
    hardware drivers) (no promise controller or drivers) would be a good
    test.

    Are you using a bench mark program that is advertised to work in
    winxp?

    Do you have any other unsolved winxp problems (like a missing driver)?

    Forrest

    Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
    http://home.comcast.net/~mobo.help/

    - HAL9000, Dec 3, 2004
  15. Spirit

    Bill Drake Guest

    Different versions of the motherboard flashBIOS for this board
    have different versions of the Intel RAID BIOS. The Intel RAID
    BIOS insert *changes* the way the ICH5R interfaces to the rest
    of the 875P chipset. Specifically, the newer RAID BIOS versions
    allow the ICH5R to "spoof" a standard IDE-interface when the
    machine is running without the ICH5R drivers installed.

    The above is a *feature* which has been added to the ICH5R BIOS
    insert -- in order to allow Norton Ghost 2003 and 2004 to work with
    reasonable speed under DOS.

    However, a missing CMOS-clear after an upgrade can *induce* a
    problem with the motherboard -- if the user does not *completely*
    clear the old CMOS values and re-enter everything from scratch.

    Note: I *CANNOT* over-emphasize this issue. You *DO NOT*
    get to be lazy or slothful about this. DO IT -- AND DO IT
    AGAIN IF IT DIDN'T WORK RIGHT THE FIRST TIME.

    Old and invalid CMOS data left in the CMOS registers from
    previous BIOS versions have unpredictable effects -- from
    "missing" features to features that are "stuck on" when they
    should be user-disabled. You may be suffering from this
    problem.

    Also, since the driver installation interfaces to the ICH5R state
    as controlled by the BIOS/CMOS configuration -- it may also
    be necessary to completely reinstall after properly clearing the
    CMOS and resetting as appropriate. This will allow the drivers
    to properly query a *valid* operating state for the hardware,
    rather than the previous corrupted state caused by the invalid
    CMOS data.

    I recommend a CMOS-clear, a save-defaults and reboot,
    a set-Softmenu and reboot, then a set-custom and reboot.

    Finally, yet another reboot after the set-custom to confirm
    that all values have been properly saved and properly input
    to the chipset on a subsequent full-power-off (including power
    switch and wait-for-discharge) reboot.

    Only after *confirming* a completely-valid BIOS/CMOS
    configuration should a full-pull reinstall of WXP be started.

    Best I can do for now. <tm>

    Bill

    Bill Drake, Dec 3, 2004
  16. Spirit

    TomG Guest

    I have to say that I have never done side by side comparisons of speeds
    between CD/DVD/HDD and XP vs. 98. I used to dual boot between 98 and XP but
    found no need to keep 98 around and did not notice any significant
    performance degradation in going to XP. I cannot agree that XP does not
    like or know how to interface with the 875 and/or 865 chipsets, though.

    TomG, Dec 3, 2004
  17. Spirit

    TomG Guest

    Bill,

    question for you... do you advocate installing the Intel Application
    Accelerator - Raid version, for raid mode installations on the IC7 boards?
    one thing I noticed was that the SATA drivers get upgraded by virtue of
    installing the IAA-R and after installing the most recent version, the SATA
    drivers were at least a version ahead of the SATA bios. I manually
    downgraded the SATA drivers to the matching version for the bios...

    TomG, Dec 3, 2004
  18. Spirit

    Spirit Guest

    Yes, because you have no problems with transfer rate...:)
    My transfer rate under XP is 3 times smaller than in w98, and that is reason
    why I did comparison
    For my work I need aplication wich can't work in XP
    I can't believe in that too, but why w98 works great, and XP works so bad
    under the same hardware configuration???

    I tryed with 3 different hard disk with different XP instalation, and on
    every disk I have the same problem :-((((

    One disk wich I use for testing is emty, just xp, nothing else, and works so
    slow, why?????

    Spirit, Dec 4, 2004
  19. Spirit

    Spirit Guest

    question for you... do you advocate installing the Intel Application
    I tryed to install Intel Application Accelerator but I get this message:

    "Incompatible hardware. This software is not supported on this chipset."

    Spirit, Dec 4, 2004
  20. Spirit

    Spirit Guest

    cut <
    Ok, I'll try to clear cmos, but I don't understand what is this necessary
    because bios setting is the same for w98 and xp, and I have no problems
    under w98, only under XP...
    W98 works great, and It's seems to me that bios setting is ok...
    Am I wrong?

    Spirit, Dec 4, 2004