    failing and initiating a shutdown.

    Anybody else seen this??

    SpeedyGonzales

    SpeedyGonzales, Nov 30, 2003

  2. SpeedyGonzales

    TomG Guest

    could be the fan itself giving bad RPM reading above a certain speed as well
    as the board...

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 118,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Nov 30, 2003

  3. SpeedyGonzales

    John Lewis Guest

    The pulse from the fan tacho is likely to be poorly shaped or
    low-amplitude or both. Some 3rd-party heat-sink vendors use
    unknown-pedigree fans. Pulse-integrity can be checked using a
    correctly-compensated low-capacitance probe on an
    oscilloscope.

    Anyway, 6000RPM must sound like a jet airliner.............
    Doesn't the Thermaltake come with a manual control
    that can be put in series to reduce the maximum speed ?

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Nov 30, 2003
  4. SpeedyGonzales

    Cobblers! Guest

    Don't connect the fan to the mb then. Connect it to the PSU directly
    and disable cpu fan monitoring in the bios. That's what I did on my
    IC7.

    Cobblers!, Nov 30, 2003
  5. There is an manual option on the fan, but that's not the point.

    The point is: The mobo can't read rpm's above aprox. 5500 rpm's!

    I am running in thermal/auto mode which gives me an initial 2000 rpm's at
    42C and at 55-56C it's around 3300rpm's.
    It works for me, and fan noise is okey!!

    SpeedyGonzales

    SpeedyGonzales, Nov 30, 2003
  6. SpeedyGonzales

    TomG Guest

    the "point" is that it might not be the mobo! it could be the FAN!

    TomG, Nov 30, 2003
  7. Bullshit. The motherboard can correctly read the speed of whatever fan you
    use, provided it outputs a decent tacho pulse. As John said, the problem
    here is with the particular fan you are using, not a problem with the
    motherboard or the system monitor chip.

    If you don't want the system shutting down, disable the "shut down on CPU
    fan fail" option in the BIOS.
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

    Out with the old & in with the new at www.dabsxchange.com

    Richard Hopkins, Nov 30, 2003
  8. I wonder if you are talking from experience, or are just a "clever guy" ??
    (Since I am bullshitting)

    Do you have a IC7-MAX3 with a fan speedy above 5500??
    (Don't need answers from users who don't have high fan speed)

    SpeedyGonzales

    SpeedyGonzales, Dec 1, 2003
  9. SpeedyGonzales

    TomG Guest

    I have an IC7-G with a high speed fan on it. reads fine. why would you be
    so absolutely sure it cannot be the fan? have you tried a different fan?

    TomG, Dec 1, 2003
  10. I am not sure that it's the fan....but I need answer from users like you who
    have a high rpm cpu fan, so I can eliminate that the MOBO is not capable of
    reading high rpm's.

    Speedy

    SpeedyGonzales, Dec 2, 2003
  11. SpeedyGonzales

    John Lewis Guest

    It is very easy to check the fan tacho with the appropriate equipment
    -- see my original reply.

    Reading the opinions of a hundred people will still not confirm
    the problem-source in your specific case. Only the requisite
    electrical measurements on YOUR fan.

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Dec 2, 2003
  12. SpeedyGonzales

    Skid Guest

    Richard is a clever guy, and he's right on this one.

    This has been a problem ever since Abit launched the shutdown on fan failure
    "feature" on the old KT7A. Some fans have a different electrical signature
    and the bios has trouble reading it. As a result, a misidentification can
    shut down the PC even when the fan is working properly.

    Most people who have that problem, and many who don't, disable that feature
    in the bios.
    Still another possibility is explained in your owner's manual. The hardware
    monitoring features occupy I/O addresses from 294H to 297H. If you have a
    NIC, sound card, etc, using an address in that range you could get bad
    readings.

    I'm writing this on an IC7 with a Vantec Aeroflow running at 5700+ rpm.
    Neither the bios, Hardware Doctor or Motherboard Monitor have any problem
    reading fan speed accurately.

    This quote is from the help file for MBM5, but it make provide a clue as to
    why not all fans are created equal:

    Fan Type
    Some Fans will show a too high RPM or a to low RPM as the pulses they send
    per second don't match what the sensor chip expects.

    There are 11 settings, /1 to /10 which divide the readings by that amount
    and *2 which muliplies the reading by 2. Default setting for 99% of all
    boards will be /1

    Fan Dividor

    Default this value is 4, this means that fans as low as 1300 rpm will show
    up, the lower you set this value the more accurate the fan RPM will be, but
    if you set it to low your fan might not show up. Not all sensor chip support
    values higher then 8, if yours does not then selecting 16, 32, 64, or 128
    will simply make mbm use the 8

    Skid, Dec 2, 2003
  13. If I wasn't, I wouldn't have replied.
    Yes. Reads over 7000rpm without any problems, or drop-outs at all.

    Out with the old & in with the new at www.dabsxchange.com

    Richard Hopkins, Dec 2, 2003
  14. IC7-G, chipset fan running at 6750 rpm according to ABIT EQ, no problems.

    Edward Lee Ah Yen, Dec 31, 2003