IC7-Max3 - Quetsion on hard drive on SATA

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Looney, Oct 18, 2003.

  1. Looney

    Looney Guest

    Ok Got IC7-Max3 board and set up went well. I have to SATA 150
    Maxtor 80GIG drives. One in SATA 1 and the other in SATA 2. After
    drive. What do I need to do to see the other drive? Sorry, I'm new to
    this SATA buisness. I'm upgrading from an Abit KT&a Raid.
    All I want to do is use the 2nd drive as storage and not use RAID.
    Also would like to add a Maxtor 40GIG ATA100 drive to the IDE next if
    it can be done. This will also be used as storage.
    Thanks for any and all help.

    IC7- Max3-mother board
    VGA - ATI A-I-W RADEON 9800 PRO 128M
    POWER SUPPLY - ASPIRE ATX-AS500-BL12V
    CPU - P4/3.0CGHz 800M 478P/512K HT
    DDRAM - 1GB TWINX1024-3700PT Corsair
    HD 80G MAXTOR SATA
    CD ROM - DVD+/-RW PLEXTOR

    Looney, Oct 18, 2003

  2. Looney

    TomG Guest

    does the XP Disc Management under Computer Administration see the other
    drive? Does the drive show in Device Manager? if the drive shows in Device
    Manager and in the Disc Management then all you need to do is to right click
    on it in Disc Manager and partition and then format. if it is not showing
    in either of those places, then for some reason, it is not being seen by the
    system.

    in the second event, are you sure you have the SI controller enabled in the
    bios? you can enable it but not enable the raid mode and raid bios and that
    will work or you can enable the raid mode and bios as well. in either case,
    XP should see the device (the controller) and then load drivers for it and
    the controller should show in Device Manager under SCSI and Raid
    Controllers. look to see if you see the SI controller under SCSI & Raid
    Controllers.

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 117,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Oct 18, 2003

  3. Looney

    Courseyauto Guest

    XP operating system wont see the drive unless it is formated first. I
    had to format mine first with xp install disk and then went in and removed the
    temp folders,or you can reformat it with disk manager once XP sees it. DOUG

    Courseyauto, Oct 18, 2003
  4. Looney

    Looney Guest

    AHH yes. I got to thinking about that last night, about the new drive
    not being formatted. But didn't really know how about doing it. To
    make along story short, you both helped me alot. Deeply appriciated.

    Just one more Question and this new system goes to my workroom...
    In device manager I still have one more eclaimation mark and that
    would be for the Universal Serial Bus (USB). I have installed Window
    XP SP1. Where wold I find the drivers for USB?
    Again thank you.

    Looney, Oct 18, 2003
  5. Looney

    Courseyauto Guest

    ust one more Question and this new system goes to my workroom...
    In device manager I still have one more eclaimation mark and that
    would be for the Universal Serial Bus (USB). I have installed Window
    XP SP1. Where wold I find the drivers for USB?
    Again thank you.

    They are on the motherboard chipset installation CD. DOUG

    Courseyauto, Oct 18, 2003
  6. Looney

    TomG Guest

    drivers for usb are in the OS. if you have installed SP1 and other updates,
    then delete the device from Device Manager and then scan for new hardware
    and it will install, most likely.

    TomG, Oct 18, 2003
  7. Looney

    Looney Guest

    Another Question:
    With the 2 80gig hardrives still in the SATA 1 and 2, I connected
    a 3rd harddrive,(a Maxtor 40gig ATA100), trying both the IDE
    Controller 1 and 2 and even though this drive has been formatted I am
    unable to get it to come up in Windows XP. Nor can i see it in Devise
    Manager or Computer Management. I have tried every setting I can think
    of in the BIOS/OnChip IDE Devices/OnChip Serial ATA . I can get it to
    read all 3 drive while in the "auto" setting and see it in bootup as
    well as in the BIOS/Standard CMOS Features.But not so in the other
    settings. When I continue to boot it stops when trying to find the OS
    or just can't find the Primary Drive to boot from. Any sudgestions.
    BTW thanks you two for the USB help. deleting the device in Devise
    Maniager worked and Windows found the drivers on the next boot up.
    Being a novis at all this I deeply appriciate the support from this
    group. I couldn't have build my last 2 system without folks like you
    two. A big THANK YOU.

    Looney, Oct 19, 2003
  8. Looney

    TomG Guest

    try it with the setting at auto and then you need to set the boot priority
    in the Advanced Bios Features screens.

    TomG, Oct 19, 2003
  9. Looney

    Looney Guest

    Thanks a mil TomG. everything is working as it should. any sugestions
    on tweaking and peaking this Baby? My ATI 9800 pro is mixed in with
    some other iRQ's. Is there a way to get the vidio card to run on a
    sepporate IRQ?

    System Information report written at: 10/21/03 19:51:43
    System Name: RODNEY
    [IRQs]

    Resource Device Status
    IRQ 9 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK
    IRQ 16 ALL-IN-WONDER 9800 SERIES OK
    IRQ 16 Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D2 OK
    IRQ 16 Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24DE OK
    IRQ 18 Intel(R) PRO/1000 CT Network Connection OK
    IRQ 18 Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D7 OK
    IRQ 18 Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller OK
    IRQ 18 Intel(R) 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers OK
    IRQ 19 Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D4 OK
    IRQ 19 Silicon Image SiI 3114 SATARaid Controller OK
    IRQ 23 Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller OK
    IRQ 0 System timer OK
    IRQ 8 System CMOS/real time clock OK
    IRQ 13 Numeric data processor OK
    IRQ 6 Standard floppy disk controller OK
    IRQ 12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse OK
    IRQ 1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard OK
    IRQ 14 Primary IDE Channel OK
    IRQ 15 Secondary IDE Channel OK
    IRQ 7 Intel(R) 82801EB SMBus Controller - 24D3 OK
    IRQ 17 Realtek AC'97 Audio OK

    Looney, Oct 22, 2003
  10. Looney

    TomG Guest

    don't worry at all about your video card sharing an IRQ... makes no
    difference in the real world. as far as tweaking, when you have everything
    stable, then you want to lock the pci/agp busses and then start raising the
    FSB. You may have to change the RAM ratio to 5:4 to see how high the FSB
    can go with the NB set to 800 (assuming an 800 internal FSB cpu...)

    TomG, Oct 22, 2003
  11. Looney

    Looney Guest

    ACK!!!
    Can't get it up past "Estimated CPU Clock - 202/66/33".
    which gives me CPU speed of 3035MHz and a Ssystem Bus of 809 MHz QDR.
    Also I can't switch DRAM Ratio from 1.1 to 5.4 because it won't boot
    after the change. If I go past 202/66/33 in Estimated GPU Clock I
    loose my HardDrives and can't boot to OS.
    Everything is stable at Defaukt setting. Any more suggestions?
    Thanks.

    Looney, Oct 26, 2003
  12. Looney

    Looney Guest

    Looney, Oct 26, 2003
  13. Looney

    TomG Guest

    first, you need to lock the PCI/AGP busses at 33/66. That way, you won't
    loose the PCI based devices when you start to overclock.

    I can't imagine why you can't switch the ram *down* in speed by going to the
    80% ratio of 5:4 with the NB set to 800. be sure that you do not have the
    PAT/GAT setting at anything other than Auto for this testing. Ram timings
    may have to be relaxed during your testing as well and can then be tightened
    back up (possibly) after you get the max cpu FSB speed determined.

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 118,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Oct 26, 2003
  14. Looney

    Looney Guest

    And right you are again. Thanks Tom.
    So far I have the Internal Clock : 3347.78 MHz, with
    System Bus : 892.74 MHz QDR
    System Clock : 223.19 MHz
    Multiplier : 15.0
    DRAM Ratio @ 1.1
    Cas Latency Time=3
    Act To PreCharge Delay=5
    DRAM RAS# To CAS# Delay=3
    DRAM RAS# Precharge=3

    Now the next question. Is there any other way to increase the FBS
    without raising the CPU clock? I can set CPU clock higher but it
    starts to get unstable around 3400 MHz. I'm trying to get system to do
    appoximately:
    Internal Clock : 3300.78 MHz
    System Bus : 1000 MHz QDR
    If it can be done.
    Thanks again for all your help.

    Looney, Oct 26, 2003
  15. Looney

    TomG Guest

    the FSB is what drives everything. All of the busses are linked to that
    unless you lock them as in the PCI/AGP busses. The multiplier for the CPU
    (which is locked by Intel and even if you could move it in the bios, it
    would not really be moving in the CPU...) times the FSB is what gives you
    the speed of the system (combined with any internal QDR stuff...).

    your ram clocks are derived from the ratio times the fsb and all that. your
    post says that your ram ratio is 1.1? can you explain? did you mean 1:1
    (or 1 to 1)? if so, then one thing you need to be aware of is that
    instability could be caused by *either* the CPU reaching its ceiling (max
    overclock) or by the ram running out of overhead and reaching its ceiling.

    the best way to find out which is causing the problem is to *slow* the ram
    down by using a ratio that is a fractional ratio times the FSB speed such as
    the 5:4 ratio. the 5:4 ratio is the same as saying FSB speed times 80%
    which will result in a slower ram speed than 1:1. when you run the ram
    slower like that, you usually don't come close to running out of overhead
    with the ram and as a result, when your machine starts getting unstable, it
    is the CPU running out of room. you can then take a look at where the FSB
    is and if the FSB is high enough that a 1:1 ram ratio would take your DDR
    speed beyond the rating of the DDR, then you are usually better off leaving
    the 5:4 ratio in place. Sometimes, if you have good enough ram, you can
    implement a 1:1 ratio and then benefit from overclocking the CPU *and*
    having a screaming fast memory bus as well.

    TomG, Oct 26, 2003
  16. Looney

    Looney Guest

    Very well explained Tom. Even I can understand that. I'll copy/paste
    this to notepad somewhere to keep it handy.
    You've been a great help and teacher. Thank you for you patiance.
    Signcerly
    Rodney C.

    Looney, Oct 26, 2003
  17. Looney

    Looney Guest

    By the way, Yes, I did meen the 1:1....lol thank you for correcting
    me.

    Looney, Oct 26, 2003
  18. Looney

    TomG Guest

    any time... test your luck and then come back with any questions...

    TomG, Oct 27, 2003
  19. Looney

    TomG Guest

    no problem.

    TomG, Oct 27, 2003
  20. Looney

    Skid Guest

    Forgive me for butting in, but those are some wacky memory timings. For
    testing purposes you might try 3,4,4,8 to find the highest fsb the memory
    will run. After that you want to tighten them up for better performance.

    I'd suggest lowering the CAS first, running MemTest86 in between as a
    stability check.

    2.5,4,4,8, then 2,4,4,8. If it passes a couple of loops there, try lowering
    the last three numbers to 3,3,7, then 3,2,7, then 3,2,6, then 2,2,6, then
    2,2,5. If MemTest gives errors at any point, back off because you've found
    the fastest stable setting.

    Note that the last number is the sum of the first two, plus a little wiggle
    room. If it's less, like in your 3,3,3,5, the bank doesn't have a chance to
    flush before the next set of commands and it has to start over -- which
    hurts memory performance rather than helps it.

    The best I could do on my PC3700 at 220 mhz was 2,3,2,6. YMMV, but the only
    way to find the sweet spot for your system is to experiment.

    Skid, Oct 27, 2003