ic7g-trying to get 3rd HD up & running

Discussion in 'Abit' started by rj, Aug 14, 2005.

  1. rj

    rj Guest

    hi all.
    os is xp-pro sp2.
    i have on ide1 an 80 gig hd for backups
    -intel sata 1 controller is the boot drive with os
    -i have a 40 gig ide drive with a pata-sata serrillel2 adapter
    i want to use this drive to store music,files etc.
    i cannot get this drive to be recognized in the bios,let alone windows.
    i have tried the drive on intel sata2
    silimage sata3.
    in the integrated peripherals part of the bios
    on chip ide device
    i have tried auto,enhanced,combined.
    enhanced and auto allow me to boot the os,but the 40gig on the adapter
    is not recognized. using combined setting
    nothing is recognized.
    -is the silimage sata controller only usable as a boot drive
    controller?,so to speak.
    if anyone has succesfully ran this combination of sata & pata drives i
    would really like to hear how you did it
    thanks for your time

    rj, Aug 14, 2005

  2. Kay. What make and model of drive is it, and, most importantly, what ATA
    mode does it use? Also, silly question, but it bears asking, are you sure
    the drive actually still works? Do you hear/feel it spin up when the power
    is applied to it?
    Not that this is anything specifically to do with your problem, but the best
    way to set these controllers up is in RAID mode, even if you don't actually
    want to or don't have the drives to use a RAID array.
    Uh-huh. Have you tried swapping the 40 and 80 gig drives, connecting the 40
    directly to the motherboard's parallel ATA controller?
    No, you can use it in any role you like.
    I've run all sorts of combinations of drives with these boards. I'm
    currently running an IC7 Max3 with six hard disks and three opticals hooked
    up!

    You haven't given us enough information to diagnose your problem with
    anywhere near 100% confidence. However, given what you have said, I'd
    suggest the likeliest cause of the problem, and the first thing to rule out,
    would be an incompatibility between the 40GB disk and the Serillel adapter.

    I forget exactly what the break point is, but the Serillels will only work
    with drives of a certain ATA specification and above. It may be ATA33, may
    be ATA66, could well be ATA100. Obviously if the drive is, say, ATA33, and
    the adapter requires ATA100, it ain't gonna fly.

    As mentioned above, if you've yet to try it, the first thing to do would be
    to connect the 40GB drive direct to the motherboard's P-ATA controller. If
    it works, connect the 80 via the Serillel. If the 40GB drive *doesn't* work
    when connected direct to the board, then the focus of the problem moves
    elsewhere - like does the drive spin up? Does it make any strange clicking
    noises, etc.
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

    Richard Hopkins, Aug 14, 2005

  3. Kay. What make and model of drive is it, and, most importantly, what ATA
[...]

    The Serillel and Serillel II adapters are only compatible with ATA100 and
    ATA133 hard disks. Thus, one suspects that your 40GB unit is either ATA66 or
    ATA33. This would be enough to stop it playing.

    Richard Hopkins, Aug 14, 2005
  4. rj

    rj Guest

    thnx for replies.the 40 gig hd is a wd400jb-ata100.yes it does power
    up.i will try swapping the 80 and the 40 on ide1 and see what happens
    there.
    thank you for replies and i will post back any results

    rj, Aug 14, 2005
  5. rj

    rj Guest

    hello again.i had a brain fart LOL.the adapter was`nt quite pushed in
    all the way.it is up n running now
    thnx again

    rj, Aug 14, 2005
  6. rj

    TomG Guest

    some folks have advocated using some good tape (good quality electrical
    tape?) to band the Serillel-2 adapter in place as they have had the adapter
    come loose enough to cause issues on downstream.

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    Due to a rat in da hood,
    no longer running servers on Cox...

    (even though someone turned me in,
    what can I expect for violating the AUP, right?)

    TomG, Aug 14, 2005
  7. rj

    rj Guest

    hi tom.thats a good idea.i will have to do that shortly

    rj, Aug 14, 2005