  1. Don't attribute to malice what can be explained by incompetence.
    Where do they say that?
    What evidence do you have to support that?

    Michelle Steiner, Jan 20, 2014

  2. Of course you can copy them from iCloud to your hard disk before
    turning off iCloud. (I'm sure that you know this, but apparently some
    other people don't.)

    Michelle Steiner, Jan 20, 2014

  3. Did it say from your hard drive or from your computer?

    Michelle Steiner, Jan 20, 2014
  4. Tim McNamara

    J Burns Guest

    It probably said my computer.

    J Burns, Jan 20, 2014
  5. This is not true. Either you're imagining things or forgot to take your
    meds this morning.

    I turned off all iCloud services after attempting to use iCloud to sync
    to Google Contacts, which it won't do. I'm still looking for a solution
    for that. It DOUBLED all my contacts. Once I removed iCloud sync,
    everything went back to local files. I just had to weed out the
    duplicates by hand.

    iCloud has been known to throw out mail which contained certain keywords
    without telling the mail sender it was doing this. This has nothing to
    do with junk or spam filtering. They're just taking all email with the
    keywords "barely legal teen" and throwing them away. That's a violation
    of the Mail RFCs. But the fact that they can do this and, in fact,
    already are doing it is spelled out in their T&Cs.

    <http://www.macworld.com/article/2029570/silent-email-filtering-makes-icl
    oud-an-unreliable-option.html>

    The only thing I use iCloud for is "locate your Mac". And I also have
    Prey installed.

    Michael Vilain, Jan 20, 2014
  6. Tim McNamara

    JF Mezei Guest

    Out of curiosioty, how does iCloud provide emails ?

    If my appleID is , and the MX record for chocolate.ca
    points to a non Apple server, how can Apple get those emails and apply
    its puranical standards to delete emails it doesn't like ?

    Or does iCloud provide a new email address such as and
    it is only if you use that email address that you get Apple's content
    filtering ?

    If I upgrade to Mavericks from Snow Leopard, will Mail.App which gets
    emails from my own IMAP server start to allow iCloud to send "delete"
    command to my IMAP server via Mail.App ?

    JF Mezei, Jan 20, 2014
  7. Tim McNamara

    Guest Guest

    that's a well known bug.

    it's not a malicious attempt by apple to corrupt your data.
    that's just aggressive spam filtering.

    it is also not a violation of anything, especially since it's disclosed
    in the tos.

    all isps have spam filtering that filters out a variety of keywords
    (along with other methods). if they didn't, you'd be overrun with all
    sorts of crap ranging from barely legal teens to not legal teens and
    quite a bit more.

    you also don't have to use icloud for mail.

    Guest, Jan 20, 2014
  8. Tim McNamara

    David Empson Guest

    It only does that if your Apple ID is in in the icloud.com domain
    (including mac.com and me.com addresses which automatically gained an
    icloud.com alias).

    If the Apple ID you are using for iCloud is in any other domain, then
    iCloud doesn't supply you with any e-mail service and you need to use a
    separate provider.
    It can't.
    No. You could create another Apple ID in the icloud.com domain, but that
    would be separate to your Apple ID in the chocolate.ca domain, and if
    both were used for iCloud, then they would be independent iCloud
    accounts (one with iCloud-hosted e-mail and one without).
    Mail.app might send "delete" commands to your IMAP server, but that has
    nothing to do with iCloud, just Mail's own IMAP account support.

    David Empson, Jan 20, 2014
  9. That's essentially the same as disconnecting a hard drive; the files
    are deleted from the computer, but they're still on the hard drive.
    Plug the drive back in and the files are back on your computer.

    Reconnect iCloud and the files are back on your computer.

    Michelle Steiner, Jan 20, 2014
  10. It won't affect that.
    Yes, if there is indeed such filtering.
    No.

    Michelle Steiner, Jan 20, 2014
  11. I just tried an experiment. I sent two emails, one from my iCloud
    account, and one to it. Both had the subject "Barely legal teens" and
    the content "I hope that no one ever makes a movie titled Barely Legal
    Teens.  It would be in poor taste."

    Both went through.

    Michelle Steiner, Jan 20, 2014
  12. Also note that the filtering happened last March or thereabouts. Without
    comment, Apple obviously fixed it.

    Crapcast would do weird things with their email too. For the longest
    time, I couldn't post to a private email LISTSERV because Crapcast just
    didn't deliver my emails. No bounce, they just ate them. I started
    using Gmail which never had a problem until I switched to AT&T and now I
    can send directly to my LISTSERV again.

    I don't know if others still have the Crapcast problem. I took over
    admin of the list and try to get participants to use Gmail. It just
    works.

    Michael Vilain, Jan 20, 2014
  13. Well, I'd try

    Settings -> Mail, COntacts, Calendars -> Other -> Add CalDAV Account.

    But maybe that option is just there as an attempt to fool us.

    Not, I hasten to add, that I'm recommending the OP install a CalDAV
    server on his desktop, but he could.

    Doug Anderson, Jan 20, 2014
  14. I'm not sure that truly qualifies as irony.

    But I'm also not sure why your cost is hundreds of dollars. You can
    install a free CalDAV server on your existing desktop. Assuming you
    have an existing desktop - if you don't, I don't know what the issue
    is.

    E.g. https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-6311

    Doug Anderson, Jan 20, 2014
  15. Furthermore, if you wish to stop using the iCloud service, you can in
    fact copy all the data there to your local machine first.

    Doug Anderson, Jan 20, 2014
  16. Tim McNamara

    erilar Guest

    That's a worse jump than what I had to make to use an iPad, but I did
    find a use for iCloud. Note: ONE use. Because of the way Mail is set up
    on my iPad, I can receive but not send away from my home ISP, so I set
    up an iCloud account for those times. It even has a weird(compared to
    my other e-mail accounts) name. I'm apparently not going to ever be
    able to get a newer iPad because it seems they can't be purchased
    without the mucky iOS 7 pre-installed.

    erilar, Jan 20, 2014
  17. Tim McNamara

    Lewis Guest

    Of the many dumb things you've said, this might be the dumbest.

    Lewis, Jan 22, 2014
  18. Tim McNamara

    Lewis Guest

    Lewis, Jan 22, 2014