    It's no big deal, but it does bother me that these icons are not showing up
    properly in List View.

    Recommendations?

    Nick Naym, Jan 5, 2009

  2. Nick Naym

    TaliesinSoft Guest

    I have no recommendations but at least on my system (MacBook Pro running OS X
    10.5.6) the icons show correctly in icon view, list view, column view, and
    cover flow view.

    TaliesinSoft, Jan 5, 2009

  3. Same here.

    -- Michelle

    Michelle Steiner, Jan 5, 2009
  4. Nick Naym

    Nick Naym Guest

    It's indeed bizarre: The problem only occurs in List View; I've never
    experienced this before.

    Nick Naym, Jan 5, 2009
  5. Nick Naym

    TaliesinSoft Guest

    I forgot to add that the miniature icons in the Finder sidebar were also
    correct in all four views.

    TaliesinSoft, Jan 5, 2009
  6. Nick Naym

    Nick Naym Guest

    It gets weirder and weirder :( -- There are 2 icons involved. In the
    sidebar, one shows up as a "Package" icon, but the other shows up as the
    same kind of grey-colored Hard Drive icon as my internal drive (instead of
    the yellow-colored icons associated with all other hard drives).

    BTW: They all show up correctly in Disk Utility.

    Nick Naym, Jan 5, 2009
  7. Well, then, maybe you should rebuild the desktop, or repair permissions,
    or sacrifice a chicken, or forward this message to everyone you know, or
    something.

    Michelle Steiner, Jan 5, 2009
  8. Nick Naym

    Nick Naym Guest

    What a concept!

    Well, I force-quit (relaunched0 the Finder, and the "Package" icon "went
    away," replaced by the "proper" dive icon. The other icon -- the one that
    showed up as a package icon in list views, but as a grey-colored drive icon
    in the sidebar, didn't change.

    It occurred to me that I had dismounted those volumes (inadvertently) last
    night. So, I thought that perhaps the problem began when I re-mounted them
    and that I simply didn't notice it until today. So, I went through a
    dismount/re-mount just now. That fixed it!!

    Thanks (yet again!) JR. (It is a bit disconcerting, however, that the Finder
    can get so confused about something so simple.)

    Nick Naym, Jan 5, 2009
  9. Nick Naym

    Nick Naym Guest

    I forgot about the chicken. ;)

    Nick Naym, Jan 5, 2009
  10. As an aside: I can't remember the last time I used icon view, and list
    view is only useful about once a week when I want to compare or find
    items in a folder based on something other than it's name. Column view
    is excellent and I find it hard to believe I got by without it in the
    Finder before OSX.

    Oh yeah, and I just remembered Cover Flow view :-D Does anyone find that
    useful in the Finder?

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Jan 6, 2009
  11. Nick Naym

    TaliesinSoft Guest

    [responding to the following comments by Jamie Kahn Genet]
    Icon view is my "normal" Finder setting. The icons are large, 96 pixels
    square, and organized by name. To each his own! :)
    Rarely will I use list view.
    The only time I use column view is when it is somewhat forced upon me when
    saving a document.
    I'll bring it up when showing off a Mac to my PC using friends.

    TaliesinSoft, Jan 6, 2009
  12. Really? How so? It seems to be an awful lot more useful than the other
    views by virtue of it's independently scrollable heirarchical columns.
    The only users up till now I knew that use any other view ,are newbies
    who get the icon view by default and have not discovered views.

    I can't really see how list view is useful on a day-to-day basis by
    comparison. No preview, no minimal info, no heirarchical structure. If
    Column view could easily be resorted as the list view can be I doubt I'd
    ever need to touch list view again.

    No offence, but are you sure you didn't just grow familiar with list
    view back in classic MacOS and dislike change in this respect?

    I'm not trying to be rude - it just seems amazing to me :)

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Jan 6, 2009
  13. Nick Naym

    TaliesinSoft Guest

    [a number of reasons why he prefers column view]

    I was impressed enough with Jolly's reasons that I'm going to give column
    view a tryout for a few days so that I can determine whether I might prefer
    it to my now usual icon view.

    TaliesinSoft, Jan 6, 2009
  14. How about a hybrid column/list view? In some ways I suppose column view
    IS a bit clunky, however it still feels lightyears ahead of what I used
    to have.
    Unless I've a very large monitor or very few files I find simply opening
    a second Finder window to be easier than scrolling about while dragging
    and dropping files. With Expose I no longer make much of an effort to
    reduce open windows and clutter. I might close windows more often if
    only their positions and sizes were saved.
    Absolutely not :)
    Now Quick Look is a fantastic feature of Leopard and I use it all the
    time when I want a bigger preview than column view can provide. Still,
    for just finding the right file column view's preview is usually all I
    need and available in every earlier version of OSX I've used.
    Well yeah, I guess I find column view's info more readable unless I'm
    trying to compare files.
    I could have put that a lot better. No clearly delineated hierarchical
    structure is what I mean. With list view it's not always clear to me
    what folder I'm in. The path bar helps, though.
    *shrug* Almost all the time sorting by name is just what I want anyway.
    I don't waste time changing the view options for column view if I need
    some other sort order. I simply switch to list view where it's easy.
    You're right that column view could be made a lot more versatile.
    I can see that and I think I understand it's continuing appeal better
    now :)

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Jan 6, 2009
  15. Couldn't agree more! Even if I don't always see the appeal of other
    ways, I glad they're there because I'm often the one using the less
    popular method :) Of course I assume colmn view is more popular
    nowadays based on my personal obrvations, so correct me if I'm wrong :)
    Quick poll - what view is your default?

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Jan 6, 2009
  16. Nick Naym

    John Byrns Guest

    Icon view for top level folders, list view for most other folders. As far as
    the default view goes, I must confess I don't even know how to set it, however
    it doesn't really make much difference because the computer has a mind of its
    own and scrambles all the views about once a month so that I have to set them
    all back to how I had them. Actually I think what it does is set all my list
    views back to Icon views, so I suppose Icon view is the default.

    --
    Regards,

    John Byrns

    John Byrns, Jan 6, 2009
  17. Nick Naym

    TaliesinSoft Guest

    [responding to my stating that his justification for preferring column view
    was sufficiently interesting that I decided to give it a try]
    I didn't think you, in the slightest way, thought that because you had a
    preference that everyone should follow. :)

    TaliesinSoft, Jan 7, 2009
  18. Nick Naym

    Nick Naym Guest

    I tend to agree with you, JR...though since I still am (technically
    speaking) an OS X "newbie," it might simply be my own residual OS 9
    preferences (yes, I still do find OS 9 much easier, more logical and, in
    it's own way, "refined" -- I still lay awake at nights, longing for
    Sherlock! -- to use).

    [BTW: I love your facility with the technical jargon (e.g., "sucks major
    ass").]

    Nick Naym, Jan 7, 2009
  19. Nick Naym

    Nick Naym Guest

    Hmmm...I interpreted his technical assessment ("column view sucks major
    ASS") a bit differently. ;)

    Nick Naym, Jan 7, 2009
  20. Nick Naym

    TaliesinSoft Guest

    Methinks I somehow got "list view" and "column view", in regards to Jolly
    Roger's comments, reversed. That aside, I'm giving column view a try.

    TaliesinSoft, Jan 7, 2009