    correct it manually I was instructed to go to Control Panel, System,
    Hardware, System Devices, IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers. Well, there is no
    entry for IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers? Anyone have any ideas?

    sharonf, Jan 12, 2007

  2. sharonf

    Rich Guest

    No IDE ATA/ATAPI at:

    Control Panel, System, System Properties, Hardware, Device Manager?

    That's strange

    Rich

    Rich, Jan 12, 2007

  3. sharonf

    Tom Scales Guest

    Likely listed as SCSI.

    Tom Scales, Jan 12, 2007
  4. sharonf

    HDRDTD Guest

    Yep. on a 410 (same as a 9200 AFAIK), the controller is shown under SCSI and
    RAID controllers.

    Intel ICH8R/DO/DH SATA RAID Controller

    The 410/9200 uses all SATA drives, even the optical drives. Well, the
    floppy's not a SATA drive...(grin)

    HDRDTD, Jan 13, 2007
  5. sharonf

    Tom Scales Guest

    Interestingly, when I do a fresh XP install, they show up as IDE.

    Tom Scales, Jan 13, 2007
  6. sharonf

    sharonf Guest

    Okay, I feel better about why the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers are not
    listed, but if that's the case I'm wondering why Dell Support gave me
    the pop up and directed me there in the first place. I am now inclined
    to turn off Dell Support all together.

    sharonf, Jan 13, 2007
  7. sharonf

    Tom Scales Guest

    If it is set in the BIOS as Raid/ATA, then it shows up as IDE. If it is set
    as Raid On, then it shows up as SCSI.

    You cannot change it after the OS is installed, or you'll blue screen.

    Tom Scales, Jan 13, 2007
  8. sharonf

    DellCA Guest

    I just checked the system specs for the 9200, and it shows 6 channe
    SATA II with optional RAID 0/1, and no IDE connections. This means th
    drive will show up under either SATA or SCSI drives in Device Manager

    I believe the reason the Dell Support application message said to chec
    IDE is because the message was not updated when SATA optical drive
    became available

    As for the problem itself ..
    1) Check the BIOS (F2 at the Dell splash screen just after powering on
    to see if the drive shows up there
    2) If the BIOS does not see it, open the chassis and make sure the SAT
    cable has not come loose
    3) Check to see if anything in Device Manager shows up with a !, ? o
    red X in front of it (error, unknown device, or disabled)
    4) Does the light on the front of the drive come on when you push th
    button or put a disk in the drive

    Hopefully it is something simple like the cable being loose or th
    drive being disabled in the BIOS

    Larr
    Dell Customer Advocat

    DellCA, Jan 19, 2007