IDE Controller or HD problem ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gustavo G. Rondina, May 15, 2004.

  1. Hi all

    I am running Debian GNU/Linux Sid on a Pentium4 1.7GHz.

    About a week ago it was installed on a Maxtor 30GB IDE HD, as
    Secondary Master (hdc). A HP CD writer was set up as Primary Slave
    (hdb). With some hours of use the HD and the CD-R led had turned on
    and had stayed always on. A few seconds later the System had crashed.
    This happened several times.

    First I thought the problem was with the hard drive, so I installed
    Debian on a Samsung 40gb and have set up as Primary Master (hda), with
    the CD writer still as Primary Slave (hdb) and I removed the Maxtor
    from the case (hdc).

    The system was up and running, but I got this message a few hours
    after installation:

    hda: lost interruption

    And then the System had crashed.

    Later, the same problem that happened with the Maxtor started
    happening with the Samsung: the led was turned on and never turned
    off, followed by a system crash, solution: finger + reset button. This
    happend about 3 or 4 times in 3 hours.

    I belive the problem isn't with the HDs because both HDs showed the
    same behavior, as well the CD writer, no matter where they was set up
    (IDE bus 0 or 1). This facts made me believe to an IDE controller
    problem, and this means the Motherboard is messed up. That's what I
    think. I would like to know if anyone have some thought or
    consideration on this issue that could help me. Is really my
    motherboard messed up ?

    Thanks all,
    Gustavo

    Gustavo G. Rondina, May 15, 2004

  2. Gustavo G. Rondina

    Ron Cook Guest

    Ron Cook, May 16, 2004

  3. Gustavo G. Rondina

    Tom Guest

    Hi

    I wouldn't say the problem is immediately to do with your disk
    controller on the motherboard. I'd say the CD-R drive seems to be the
    problem here. I know that to get CD-R drives working in Linux, it has
    to use special SCSI emulation, which can be a bit of a pain to get
    working on some distributions.

    What I'd recommend here is to remove the CD-R drive, and see if your
    problems go away. If they do, then check on the Debian website to see
    if anyone else has had trouble with your CD-R drive, and, if so, any
    ways to fix this.

    If your problem remains, then I would say it is the controller on the
    motherboard, OR, your distribution of Linux does not support your
    controller properly. To check this, you might want to install a bog
    standard OS like Windows 98 just to check the controller is OK, if you
    have / can get hold of a copy.

    - Tom

    Tom, May 16, 2004
  4. Gustavo G. Rondina

    Aaron Guest

    This sounds like a heat issue. It has several common symptoms: occurs
    repeatedly, occurs after similar amounts of time, and all components
    that usually fail have been eliminated as culprits.

    So, if it is heat, you need to find out what is overheating. I guess
    motherboard chipsets can overheat, since they come with heatsinks on
    them. Check these for airflow, slap in another case fan, etc.

    Then again, it might not be heat, but rather the motherboard itself.
    But I don't think so.

    Aaron

    Aaron, May 16, 2004
  5. I don't belive the problem lies on the Operating System. I have run
    Debian on this box for about 4-5 months and have never had a problem
    like this before.

    Gustavo

    Gustavo G. Rondina, May 16, 2004
  6. Tom, I am not emulating the CD-R, just left the default configuration
    that makes the drive work as a regular IDE CD drive.

    I've run Linux on this Box for about 1.5 year (Debian for about 5
    months) and the driver have always worked properly, but I'll try
    removing the CD-R, after all it is quite damn old HP 9100i that I
    bought it in 1999 ...

    Thanks
    Gustavo

    Gustavo G. Rondina, May 16, 2004