    Any suggestions?

    Thanks,
    Alex.

    Alex, Dec 12, 2003

  2. Alex

    Alex Guest

    Use them on different channels ;-)

    Alex, Dec 12, 2003

  3. Alex

    Rod Speed Guest

    I have seen that effect with Quantum drives of
    that era. They can be fussy about what they will
    slave to, will slave to some drives and not others.
    What happens if you slave the Quantum to the CDRW ?

    The Quantum master and the CDRW slave is also
    a viable config tho it may be a bit tricky cable wise.

    Rod Speed, Dec 12, 2003
  4. Alex

    SteveH Guest

    Hello.

    I have 2 hard drives: a Quantum Fireball EX (6GB) and an IBM Deskstar 120GXP
    The motherboard is an ASUS P5A.

    The problem that I am having is that I cannot slave the Quantum to the IBM.
    They work as 2 masters on different IDE channels.
    They work when the Quantum is master and the IBM is slave.
    But when the Deskstar is master and the Fireball is slave (on IDE0), the
    BIOS will detect and display the drives and then hang.

    I am using 40-conductor cables.
    There's an LG CD-RW is on IDE1.

    Any suggestions?

    Thanks,
    Alex.

    Isn't the IBM a DMA100 drive? Therefore it should be running on an 80
    conductor cable to operate correctly (and get it's proper speed)

    SteveH

    SteveH, Dec 12, 2003
  5. Alex

    Rod Speed Guest

    Not with that particular motherboard which doesnt support that speed.

    Rod Speed, Dec 12, 2003
  6. Alex

    Hank Guest

    Hello.

    I have 2 hard drives: a Quantum Fireball EX (6GB) and an IBM Deskstar 120GXP
    The motherboard is an ASUS P5A.

    The problem that I am having is that I cannot slave the Quantum to the IBM.
    They work as 2 masters on different IDE channels.
    They work when the Quantum is master and the IBM is slave.
    But when the Deskstar is master and the Fireball is slave (on IDE0), the
    BIOS will detect and display the drives and then hang.

    I am using 40-conductor cables.
    There's an LG CD-RW is on IDE1.

    Any suggestions?

    Thanks,
    Alex.

    Try running both drives with the jumpers on cable select and hook the cables
    up accordingly.

    Hank

    Hank, Dec 12, 2003
  7. Alex

    Nagaho Guest

    Hi

    I had a problem something like that, I had to go to the IBM website
    (Possibly taken over by Fitjusu) and get the Jumper options. Their is a
    second jumper needed on my IBM (60GB) drive and this site has the possible
    combinations, without the jumper it might not see your drive, and when you
    put in the jumper in if it is not the right way you might get only half
    capacity etc, but start on the IBM site and follow the links.

    John.

    Nagaho, Dec 31, 2003