    How do I get the DVD burner to be recognized again?

    Thanks,
    Mike Jones!

    property.of.mike.jones, Jul 5, 2006

  2. property.of.mike.jones

    farmuse Guest

    does it show up on the BIOS start up screen ? try a new cable ?

    farmuse, Jul 5, 2006

  3. property.of.mike.jones

    TomG Guest

    are you using an 80 conductor ribbon with the blue end of the ribbon
    connected to the mobo and the master device on the other end (NOT in the
    middle) of the ribbon? any other ribbon cable configuration, as far as
    position of the drive on the cable, is not a valid configuration.

    tried jumpering the DVD drive as Cable Select?

    TomG, Jul 5, 2006
  4. It ended up being the cable. Sorry that this was not checked earlier.
    I also found a similar thread on [H]ardForums that had several
    suggestions (in case someone comes across this posting in the future).
    The thread is at http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1029645123

    Thanks,
    Mike Jones!

    property.of.mike.jones, Jul 5, 2006
  5. property.of.mike.jones

    TomG Guest

    glad you got it sorted...

    TomG, Jul 6, 2006
  6. Why does the blue end need to conected to the mobo ???

    Just like to know :)

    Thanks.

    Home Theatre Guy, Jul 7, 2006
  7. <Home Theatre Guy> wrote:

    | Why does the blue end need to conected to the mobo ???
    |
    | Just like to know :)
    |
    | Thanks.

    For Cable Select (CS), the position of the drive on the cable determines
    which drive is recognized as Master and which as Slave.

    The signal line governing this selection is present in the Blue connector
    and is terminated at the Gray connector. For this reason, the Blue
    connector goes to the motherboard.

    The Black connector at the other end goes to the Master drive.

    The Gray connector in the middle goes to the Slave drive.

    On many UDMA cables, you'll also notice that there is a greater distance
    between the Blue connector and the Gray connector than there is between the
    Black connector and the Gray connector. This is to facilitate snaking the
    cable for the best possible air flow inside the case. You mount the Master
    and Slave drives right together, so there's no need for a lot of cable
    between them (and, therefore, you don't want a lot of slack in the cable).

    If you are jumpering the drives as Master (MA) and Slave (SL), as opposed to
    Cable Select (CS), the position on the cable is irrelevant .. though it
    still makes sense, for best air flow, to connect the Blue connector to the
    motherboard.

    Jef

    Bird Janitor®, Jul 7, 2006
  8. property.of.mike.jones

    TomG Guest

    the cable is made such that the conductors "expect" the blue end to the
    mobo. if the devices are jumpered as cable select, and maybe even if they
    are jumpered as master/slave, then you will have problems if they are not in
    the correct positions on the cable. I have had issues with master/slave
    jumpering AND Cable Select jumpering with a single drive in the middle as
    opposed to on the end where it belongs.

    TomG, Jul 7, 2006
  9. property.of.mike.jones

    TomG Guest

    I did have a problem with a computer I was troubleshooting where the drive
    would not appear, jumpered as Master, when installed on the middle of the
    cable... go figure.

    TomG, Jul 7, 2006
  10. TomG wrote:

    | I did have a problem with a computer I was troubleshooting where the
    | drive would not appear, jumpered as Master, when installed on the
    | middle of the cable... go figure.

    Probably the exception, rather than the rule, but I've always advised to go
    with the UDMA CS "rules" nonetheless.

    Jef

    Bird Janitor®, Jul 8, 2006
  11. property.of.mike.jones

    TomG Guest

    concur

    TomG, Jul 8, 2006
  12. TomG wrote:

    | concur

    You callin' me a con and a cur? Hey! I represent that remark!

    Jef

    Bird Janitor®, Jul 8, 2006
  13. property.of.mike.jones

    Jim Guest

    Bird,
    Correction, it's; "Hey, I resemble those remarks!"

    Jim, Jul 8, 2006
  14. property.of.mike.jones

    0_Qed Guest

    I concur.

    Qed.

    0_Qed, Jul 8, 2006
  15. Qed wrote:

    | I concur.

    So now you're telling us that you're a con and a cur?

    Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood®

    Bird Janitor®, Jul 8, 2006
  16. property.of.mike.jones

    0_Qed Guest

    Hey !!

    Nice to see you 'out' & 'about' . :-0

    I hadnt realized that your 'Institution' also gave out Day Passes.

    Qed.

    0_Qed, Jul 9, 2006
  17. Qed wrote:

    | Hey !!
    |
    | Nice to see you 'out' & 'about' . :-0
    |
    | I hadnt realized that your 'Institution' also gave out Day Passes.

    No day passes. The place was shuttered. Budget cuts. :-{

    Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood®

    Bird Janitor®, Jul 9, 2006
  18. property.of.mike.jones

    0_Qed Guest

    Gotta be 'troubling',
    as it is for me ...
    "Out" amongst all the real nuts ...
    and no escape.
    <VBG>

    Qed.

    0_Qed, Jul 10, 2006
  19. Qed wrote:

    | Gotta be 'troubling',
    | as it is for me ...
    | "Out" amongst all the real nuts ...
    | and no escape.
    | <VBG>

    Tell me about it. I shudder every time I happen by The Pit®!

    Lurking Rat in 'Da Hood®

    Bird Janitor®, Jul 10, 2006
  20. property.of.mike.jones

    0_Qed Guest

    <VBG>

    From the 'likes' of youst ...
    thats a 5_Star rating .
    Cant get much more gooder than that .

    In your 'honor' ... <VBG>
    'we' intro an Adult Theatre 'niche' ... next month.

    Qed.

    0_Qed, Jul 10, 2006