IDE vs. PCI IDE Controller Set-Up Question

Discussion in 'Gateway' started by Flippy, Feb 20, 2004.

  1. Flippy

    Flippy Guest

    I have installed a second hard drive in my system, but am having some
    difficulty getting it set up to work correctly with Win98SE.

    After some research and trial and error, I have discovered the problem
    seems to be related to trying to run Win98 in a resolution higher than
    VGA while having the secondary PCI IDE controller active. (This hint
    came from the hardware.txt file from Win98.

    If I go into my BIOS and disable the secondary PCI IDE controller, I
    can launch Windows Explorer with no problem; however, I no longer see
    my CD drives (I have 2 currently installed on the regular motherboard
    secondary IDE controller). If I enable my secondary PCI IDE
    controller, then I get a blue screen fatal exception when I launch
    Windows. This same pattern occurs whether the new hard drive is
    installed as a slave or as the only drive in the system.

    My questions are:

    1) Why do my CD drives disappear when I disable the PCI IDE
    controllers when they are not connected to the PCI controller card? I
    had the impression that the mobo IDE controllers were independent of
    the IDE controllers on the PCI card.

    2) Any suggestions for how I can configure this so the secondary PCI
    IDE controller is disabled, but I still have my 2 harddrives and 2 CD
    drives active? Can you have 2 PCI controller cards installed at the
    same time?

    3) The Win98 hardware.txt says you could optionally disable the IRQ
    of the video device if supported by the BIOS. Well, it doesn't appear
    that my BIOS supports this, and there is no upgrade for it. Any other
    way to do that?

    My system specs are:

    -Gateway G6-266 PC (PD440FX mobo, Pentium II-266MHz)
    -128MB RAM
    -Promise Ultra66 IDE Controller
    -6.4 GB Quantum Fireball ST6 Harddrive (original harddrive) running
    off Ultra66 controller
    -20GB Quantum Fireball Plus AS harddrive (new)
    -STB Nitro 3D (S3 ViRGE-DX/GX 375/385) display adapter

    Thanks for any help.

    Regards,
    Joe

    Flippy, Feb 20, 2004

  2. Have you tried moving one or the other of the PCI cards to a different slot?

    Tom Clydesdale, Feb 20, 2004

  3. Flippy

    Flippy Guest

    Yes. I've tried moving the card to all the available slots with no
    luck. I've also made sure I have the latest drivers for the video
    card and the controller card. The only solution so far has been to
    disable the secondary PCI IDE controller. I just can't figure out how
    to get my CD drives back.

    Flippy, Feb 21, 2004