    doesn't appear to give me enough information between these very
    similar processors.

    Todd

    Todd, Oct 10, 2004

  2. Todd

    AndrewJ Guest

    The only way you will ever know is to read the numbers off the chip.

    AndrewJ, Oct 10, 2004

  3. Will Sisoft Sandra help ?

    Usual Suspect, Oct 10, 2004
  4. For Intel chips, both Intel and 3rd parties have "CPU ID" programs that
    will tell you what the chip really is (in fact "CPUID" is the name of
    one of the 3rd party programs). Some of the 3rd party programs may not
    be Intel specific, indeed may identify an AMD chip as well, and/or AMD
    may have their own program.

    Barry Watzman, Oct 10, 2004
  5. I have ordered a notebook with the 62w Mobile Athlon 64 3200+
    Does this mean 62 Watt maximum heat?

    A mobile CPU is only up to 30 Watt.

    The area of the so called "mobile" CPU is 30 to 50 Watt

    Beyond 50 Watt, it's a false declaration to call
    anything a mobile CPU.

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Roland_M=F6sl?=, Oct 11, 2004
  6. Todd

    Todd Guest

    Thanks for all your help
    Here is what some are saying at AMD forum
    http://forums.amd.com/index.php?showtopic=26786

    Desktop-replacement(DTR) Mobile A64's have a 1.50V default
    Vcore(CPU-voltage), just like their desktop cousins, whereas 62W
    Mainstream Mobile Athlon 64's have a 1.40V default Vcore.

    First, make sure you're running on AC-power, NOT battery.
    Launch a CPUID-utility or other software-tool(CPUMSR will usually work
    just fine for example) that can accurately report your current
    VCore(CPU-voltage), then run a CPU-intensive application like a
    Prime95 torture test to ensure your processor is running at its
    maximum P-State, i.e. at full speed and voltage.

    If your Vcore is at 1.50V, you have a DTR-part - if it is at 1.40V,
    you have a 62W Mainstream part

    QUOTE
    I was wondering, do these two processors have the same family, ext
    family, generation, ext generation, model and more importantly
    stepping numbers?

    Yes - they are using exactly the same 'Clawhammer'-core.

    You cannot distinguish a 81.5W DTR from a 62W Mainstream part by its
    CPUID - the default core-voltage and (as a result of the different
    Vcore) max. power-consumption is the only difference between these
    parts.

    Todd, Oct 11, 2004