    for introducing beginners to this Black Art? There are plenty available
    on Amazon etc, but they all claim to be the best ever. Which one really
    is?

    S.Nufkin, Aug 2, 2006

  2. S.Nufkin

    fishfry Guest

    Long time ago there was a book called Networking the Mac or Macintosh
    Networking or some such. It was very good. If it's been updated, it
    would probably still be good. Since I don't remember the exact title and
    it's many years old, this doesn't help you any.

    If you really want to find out what's going on with the Internet, read
    volume one of Internetworking with TCP/IP by Douglas Comer. Everything
    that can possibly be known about modern networking is based on that book.

    Can you be more specific about what kind of info you're looking for?

    fishfry, Aug 2, 2006

  3. S.Nufkin

    S.Nufkin Guest

    That's part of the problem. One week I might field a request to set up a
    client's domain name, the next sort out an ADSL router , or figure out
    why she can't connect via dial-up and there are problems getting an OS9
    Mac to talk nicely to the other OSX Macs on the local network. Then the
    first guy wants an email server to feed mail to his half-dozen staff. A
    bit of everything.

    S.Nufkin, Aug 2, 2006