    MP3's playing, word processing... just general use. Full load was an hour of
    Prime95 running the CPU at 100%. It maxed out at 60C by about minute 20 and
    the temp never went higher.

    Jack Spungo, Nov 27, 2004

  2. Jack Spungo

    Bitsbucket Guest

    60C is not cool by any means, but is tolorable according to the AMD site, I
    have a 2500+ clocked to 3200+ and it sometimes reaches 60C, It kinda worries
    me but AMD says max die temp is usually around 85 to 90 C depending on
    chip...now this is not including the MP chips which I did not look up...go
    to amd.com to find the max die temp for your particular chip. A little
    research before asking goes a long way.......I found this info in less than
    2 minutes.
    Bitsbucket

    Bitsbucket, Nov 27, 2004

  3. Jack Spungo

    Jack Spungo Guest

    I was well aware of of of that info, but was more worried about long-term
    use at those temps, not when it would start to melt.

    Jack Spungo, Nov 27, 2004
  4. My computer room at my house is always relatively hot. My case temps are
    typically 40 C and it is cooler during the summer when the AC is running.

    I have a Barton 2500 XP+, which I have been abusing. It has a good fan, but
    I run at 1.8 V which means under load the socket temp is about 65-70 C. For
    most of the calculations that I run it runs about 5 C cooler, and they can
    be from overnight to several days. I have a $16 HSF, I can't remember the
    name at the moment but it seems to do a good job compared to other fans that
    I have used.

    Unfortunately at 1.8 V, I can only get 200x11 on the DFI UI motherboard. At
    the same voltage, I was at 209x11 on the Epox Motherboard.

    These temps are obtained from the Prime95 torture test, which I like to run
    whenever I am not using the computer.

    I have been doing this for a year, and the CPU has not died. I had one Epox
    motherboard blow its caps, but the CPU has been fine. I think I may have a
    deathwish on it, so I can replace it with a mobile CPU or AMD64 3000 chip.

    Pete

    Peter Harrington, Nov 27, 2004
  5. Jack Spungo

    Jack Spungo Guest

    Why do you run want it to run at 100% so often? I'll take it off your hands
    if you still have that deathwish for it :)

    Jack Spungo, Nov 27, 2004
  6. Jack Spungo

    Wes Newell Guest

    Temps are all relative to ambient, although 60C seems real high to me if
    that's the socket temp. To assure adequate cooling, the case temp should
    be no more than 10C above room temp, and cpu temp at idle shouldn't be
    more than 10C above that.. For good cooling, change the 10C to 6C. And for
    better, make it 3C. This would normally require software cooling also
    unless you have some special cooling system. So, 20-30-40, or 30-40-50
    would only be adequate IMO. Right now I'm running 22-26-30 on an A64 3000+.

    Wes Newell, Nov 27, 2004
  7. Because I do a lot of number crunching, and when I am
    not number crunching, I want to make sure that the number crunching was
    correct.

    The computers are going to be obsolete before they fail. I think the only
    way to get your $$$ worth is to run your systems at 100% all the time.

    You also want to make sure that the systems are stable. I will keep your
    offer in mind, if I decide to get rid of it.

    Pete

    Peter Harrington, Nov 27, 2004
  8. Jack Spungo

    Jack Spungo Guest

    Change the 10C to 6C... I don't get it.

    Jack Spungo, Nov 27, 2004
  9. Jack Spungo

    Wes Newell Guest

    Adequate= 20C-30C-40C
    Good = 20C-26C-32C
    Excellent = 20C-23C-26C

    Wes Newell, Nov 28, 2004
  10. Jack Spungo

    Jack Spungo Guest

    Adequate is full load at 40C??? I must have the hottest running Athlon ever
    made because mine was 50 idle with no overclocking at all. I would need
    watercooling to get it to idle at 30C. That or buy a meat locker and do all
    my computing in there.

    Jack Spungo, Nov 28, 2004
  11. Jack Spungo

    Wes Newell Guest

    It was at idle load.
    Not if you knew what you were doing. I had an overclocked max vcore
    (1.85v) Palomino idling at 28.8C using an $8 cooler.
    Room temp was 24C, MB, 27.1, CPU t4emp was 28.8C at idle.

    Wes Newell, Nov 28, 2004
  12. Jack Spungo

    Jack Spungo Guest

    My bios reads the temp as 45 but the asus software and motherboard monitor
    reads it as 52, is the bios off that much??

    Jack Spungo, Nov 28, 2004
  13. Jack Spungo

    Wes Newell Guest

    Contary to popular belief, the bios puts a load on the cpu. This can be
    seen if one immediately goes from a cool state OS to a reboot and then
    watch the temp readings rise in the bios. In your case I'd guess the
    software was off, but I don't know for sure.

    Wes Newell, Nov 28, 2004
  14. Jack Spungo

    Jack Spungo Guest

    Hopefully. I just removed some panels at the back of the case and took of
    the Floppy panel in front to increase air flow. Is that a good idea or not
    considering dust? My temp went down 4C.

    Jack Spungo, Nov 29, 2004
  15. Jack Spungo

    Wes Newell Guest

    The more airflow the better. You really don't need more than 1 case fan
    if it's efficient (Along with PSU fan(s)). I always cut out the extra
    metal for the front intake fan. And then I remove excess plastic from the
    front cover to allow less resistence. If it has holes in the front, I'll
    make them a lot larger. One Enlight case I had had about 16 holes in the
    front cover about the size of a pencil lead. After cutting away the metal
    inside and making each hole 5/16", the airflow doubled (or more) and it
    was quieter because the fan was no longer being starved of air and whining.

    Wes Newell, Nov 29, 2004
  16. Jack Spungo

    Jack Spungo Guest

    Good to know. I actually dont have a case fan at all. Are those PCI fans ok?
    Looks easy to install at least. Can I get any significant cooling from a
    case fan or is my next step going to need to be a new heatsink/fan for the
    cpu. I'm at a 2800 and happy with that, but a 3200 or 3400 would be nice
    too. I've been at both speeds but they idled in the mid 50's.

    Jack Spungo, Nov 29, 2004
  17. Jack Spungo

    Dave Guest

    The most important case fan is the rear exhaust fan so add one if you don't
    have any case fans. Front and side fans are not usually necessary except in
    extreme situations - i.e. the system is pushed to the limit - as long as the
    case has adequate ventilation.

    Dave

    Dave, Nov 29, 2004
  18. Jack Spungo

    Jack Spungo Guest

    are they easy to install?

    Jack Spungo, Nov 29, 2004
  19. Jack Spungo

    Chip Guest

    Sorry I disagree.

    20C-23C-26C = Dreaming / Using drugs. Or perhaps wrongly calibrated
    sensors.

    A 3C difference between idle and load means perhaps 17W/C performance from
    your cooling system. Or to put it another way, 0.0588C/W.... Or to put it
    another way 4 times better than a Thermalright SLK900 and 6000 rpm fan. I
    think not.

    To give you another example, the Thermalright SI-90 with a 90mm fan at 5000
    rpm (all 77 dBA of it) can only hold the die temp 17C above ambient. That's
    probably 10C above diode at idle.

    The trouble is the damned motherboard sensors are so badly calibrated,
    people start to believe these sorts of reading. But they are nonsense. 10C
    difference between idle and load is actually pretty good. Anything less
    than 10C would need water cooling at least. 3C needs a flipping river
    flowing through it.

    Chip

    Chip, Nov 29, 2004
  20. Jack Spungo

    Chip Guest

    Sorry, scrub this.

    I see you mean Ambient - Case - Idle, not Case - Idle - Load. My apologies.

    Still, the same rules apply for Case - Idle deltas. Assuming a power
    consumption of say 20w on idle, you'd still need 3/20 = 0.15 C/W from your
    heatsink. That's still better than any air cooler in existance.

    Cheers

    Chip

    Chip, Nov 29, 2004