Idle temps

Discussion in 'AMD Thunderbird' started by Brett Tyre, Jan 11, 2004.

  1. Brett Tyre

    Brett Tyre Guest

    I ended up getting an Athlon XP 3000+ due to the simple lack of availability
    of the 3200+ in my area (special order only).

    I set the basic system up last night (m/b, ram, video card) and put it in
    the case (Thermaltake Xaser VM2000).

    BIOS reads the the CPU idle temp as 46-47C;. it seems to hold steady at that
    point and system temp as 27-28C. I know in Windows the idle is generally a
    litte lower. I've got three case fans running along with the stock AMD
    heatsink and fan.

    In any case, is this considered a "normal" temperature? Its been a few
    years since I've built an Athlon, and I know on my old one I actually
    acheived low temps compared to other people.
    --
    NP:
    Brett Tyre

    www.geocities.com/brett_tyre
    London Drugs, Comp. Dept.
    "I have something I want to tell you.I'm not like other guys.No, I mean I'm
    different." -Michael Jackson "Thriller"

    Brett Tyre, Jan 11, 2004

  2. Brett Tyre

    Arthur Buse Guest

    In my humble opinion, the BIOS puts the CPU under full load. Windows
    contains a Halt instruction which lets the CPU idle. Dos and BIOS do
    not.

    Arthur Buse, Jan 11, 2004

  3. Brett Tyre

    J. Clarke Guest

    That's fine. Generally speaking if you're not overclocking then
    anything under 60C on the motherboard sensor (or 70 or so on the
    internal diode) under load is fine--if you're idling 47C then you'll
    likely be well under 60 under load. If you're going for maximum
    overclocking you want the processor as cool as you can afford to run it.

    J. Clarke, Jan 11, 2004