iDVD quits after several hours

Discussion in 'Apple' started by dcm, Aug 9, 2004.

  1. dcm

    dcm Guest

    iDVD quits unexpectedly during encoding, always after several hours.

    I am so frustrated. I wonder if anyone has any ideas. I have upgraded
    my G4 specifically to run iDVD, and now iDVD quits unexpectedly after
    hours of encoding but before actual burning begins. The error happens
    over and over again. I have reinstalled iDVD several times. I've tried
    running it from three different setups of OS X 10.2.8, one of which
    has no extras added of any kind-just the bare install. I have spent
    many hours over two weeks experimenting, trying anything I could think
    of.

    The thing is, I was successfully burning DVDs until a couple of weeks
    ago.

    G4 Sawtooth with Other World Computing 1GHz replacement processor
    768 MB memory (512/128/128)
    Original video card driving an LCD monitor
    Pioneer A06U
    The movie resides on an OWC firewire external drive.
    Lots of USB things

    This is what the crash log looks like:

    Command: iDVD
    PID: 381

    Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
    Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0001) at 0xffffffff

    Then, further down, always in thread 12, 13 or 14, it reads:

    Thread 12 Crashed:
    #0 0x9068ba4c in objc_msgSend
    #1 0x00085b40 in 0x85b40
    #2 0x00177634 in 0x177634
    #3 0x00224cf0 in 0x224cf0
    #4 0x00223644 in 0x223644
    #5 0x002224d8 in 0x2224d8
    #6 0x0021fb18 in 0x21fb18
    #7 0x001918ec in 0x1918ec
    #8 0x001f00cc in 0x1f00cc
    #9 0x00215a7c in 0x215a7c
    #10 0x97e2cc38 in forkThreadForFunction
    #11 0x90020c28 in _pthread_body

    Meanwhile, this is what the console.log looked like:

    WVO: Detected an ATI Rage128, will use special texture management
    Aug 8 20:44:54 Daryl-Morgans-Computer
    /Applications/iDVD.app/Contents/MacOS/iDVD: kCGErrorIllegalArgument :
    CGSSetWindowToReleaseBackingOnOrderOut: Invalid window

    WVO: Detected an ATI Rage128, will use special texture management
    WVO: Detected an ATI Rage128, will use special texture management
    WVO: Detected an ATI Rage128, will use special texture management
    WVO: Detected an ATI Rage128, will use special texture management
    WVO: Detected an ATI Rage128, will use special texture management
    WVO: Detected an ATI Rage128, will use special texture management
    WVO: Detected an ATI Rage128, will use special texture management
    Aug 8 20:47:14 Daryl-Morgans-Computer
    /Applications/iDVD.app/Contents/MacOS/iDVD: kCGErrorIllegalArgument :
    CGSSetWindowToReleaseBackingOnOrderOut: Invalid window

    WVO: Detected an ATI Rage128, will use special texture management
    WVO: Detected an ATI Rage128, will use special texture management
    WVO: Detected an ATI Rage128, will use special texture management
    WVO: Detected an ATI Rage128, will use special texture management
    WVO: Detected an ATI Rage128, will use special texture management
    WVO: Detected an ATI Rage128, will use special texture management
    Aug 9 00:20:45 Daryl-Morgans-Computer crashdump: Crash report written
    to: /Users/darylmorgan/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/iDVD.crash.log

    Is my ATI Rage128 supposed to be causing all these messages?
    I would appreciate any help anyone could give me.
    Thank you,
    Daryl Morgan

    dcm, Aug 9, 2004

  2. dcm

    Steve Lidie Guest

    Hmmm, a odd mixture of Apple and non-Apple stuff, on the previous rev of
    the OS ;) And what version of iDVD?

    In any case, I'd first try a small, very small, movie, something that
    should encode in minutes and not hours.... let's see if the simplest
    case will work.....

    Seems like a reasonable start to debugging this....

    Steve Lidie, Aug 9, 2004

  3. dcm

    soothsayer Guest

    The OP posted his article in at least three groups, but didn't
    cross-post. So now we have three threads instead of one. I responded
    in another one that I happened to see first.

    The executive summary is that this combination works fine for
    everything _except_ iDVD, a problem I've described several times in
    Mac newsgroups over the past 6 months or so. I had to use iDVD to
    make an image and Toast to burn it.

    soothsayer, Aug 9, 2004
  4. dcm

    Ernie Klein Guest

    Wild guess. By chance is your energy saver set to put hard disks to
    sleep whenever possible? If so, it will also put your superdrive to
    sleep while the file is being prepared for burning, which takes forever,
    then, when the burning is ready to start, the drive is sleeping and the
    software can't handle that. Whenever I burn DVDs, I unset all sleep
    settings before starting. I don't recall if I got a crash or not, but I
    cannot burn DVDs if I don't do that first.

    --
    -Ernie-

    "There are only two kinds of computer users -- those who have
    suffered a catastrophic hard drive failure, and those who will."

    Have you done your backup today?

    Ernie Klein, Aug 9, 2004