iDVD quits while getting ready to burn a DVD

Discussion in 'Apple' started by dcm, Aug 2, 2004.

  1. dcm

    dcm Guest

    G4
    1 GHz Power PC (replaced processor from OWC-was 400 GHz)
    768 MB memory
    OS X 10.2.8
    Pioneer A06U

    This just started happening. As iDVD prepares a project for burning,
    it quits and I get this:

    Command: iDVD
    PID: 389

    Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
    Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0001) at 0xffffffff

    Further down in the crash log is this:

    Thread 14 Crashed:
    #0 0x9068ba4c in objc_msgSend
    #1 0x000863d0 in 0x863d0
    #2 0x00177fe4 in 0x177fe4
    #3 0x00225924 in 0x225924
    #4 0x00224278 in 0x224278
    #5 0x0022310c in 0x22310c
    #6 0x0022074c in 0x22074c
    #7 0x001922b0 in 0x1922b0
    #8 0x001f0d00 in 0x1f0d00
    #9 0x002166b0 in 0x2166b0
    #10 0x97e2cc50 in forkThreadForFunction
    #11 0x90020c28 in _pthread_body

    This happens whether I am running a bare bones updated 10.2.8 or one
    with lots of add-ons. With the two different versions on two
    partitions I'm using two different copies of iDVD. I deleted the iDVD
    preferences file but it didn't help. Everything was fine until this
    just started. I had burned many dvd projects up until that time. The
    blank DVD is untouched since it doesn't get to the actual burn.

    I read elsewhere that it could be a memory problem, but I haven't
    added any lately.
    Does anyone have any ideas?

    Daryl

    dcm, Aug 2, 2004

  2. dcm

    emc2 Guest

    I think that you have enough RAM. You could use more, but 786MB is
    plenty for what you want to do...after all Apple hyped iDVD when it was
    included on G3 ibooks with as little as 256MB stock!
    I would expect that you could be a victim of Jaguar's shakey system
    frame, especially if you havn't kept up on the updates. Upgrade to
    Panther, or go throughh all the onlline upgrades on one af your
    partitiions.

    I found that my machine had many quirks in Jaguar, and I kept up with
    updates. Since Panther all is well.

    Also, the April '03 issue of Macworld says that iDVD3 runs shakey on
    slower machines...try iDVD2 (although I am running 3 on a G4 500 w/ no
    problems...with Panther).
    Did you overclock the upgrade?

    I only ask because I plan on getting an OWC 1.2Ghz and overclocking it
    and I am interested in knowing if that has given anyone bad luck with
    this.

    Good Luck,
    emc2

    emc2, Dec 15, 2004