IE and Entourage certificates.

Discussion in 'Apple' started by read-the-signature, Nov 9, 2003.

  1. Greetings,

    I'm trying to find out how to load a CA certificate using Microsoft IE so
    that I can use smtps with Entourage.

    I have a FreeBSD mail server that I have configured with SSL/TLS sendmail
    using a self signed certificate. That is, I signed my own certificate using
    a CA that I created with openssl. I am able to use SSL smtp with Netscape
    on my Mac as it was quite easy to import the CA certificate with that
    application. It is another matter though with Entourage. Entourage errors
    out telling me that I need to load the CA certificate using Microsoft IE.
    I am unable however to load the certificate with IE. Unlike Netscape,
    IE refuses to load the CA certificate, is says that it cannot verify the
    identity. I'm trying to find out if there is some way to force IE to
    accept this certificate.

    Using Panther, the Apple mail program will accept the certificate if I
    choose to continue after it prompts wanting to know if I would like to
    accept the certificate. I'm unable to find a setting that will allow
    me to accept the certificate permanently. That is, every time I use Apple
    mail, it prompts for acceptance of the CA. Netscape mail seems
    to be the only one that will work correctly.

    Has anyone here resolved any of these issues and if so, how?

    thanks for your time.

    regards

    read-the-signature, Nov 9, 2003

  2. This is a followup to my own post, sorry. Anyway I found on the Apple
    Support site the article number 25555 and used it to load my CA certificate
    into the keychain by first converting my CA certificate from pem format
    to pkcs12 format using:

    # openssl pkcs12 -export -in cacert.pem -inkey private/cakey.pem -out \
    cacert.p12

    Netscape mail is happy and now so is Apple Mail. Both use my CA cert and
    establish a TLS/SSL connection quite happily. The only issue now is
    Entourage. It sees the CA certificate in the keychain but wants a password to
    decrypt the CA certificate. I did not use one. On windows, Microsoft IE and
    outlook accept the CA certificate after I confirm that it is authorized.

    Is anyone aware of some sort of bug with IE/Entourage on the Mac with regards
    to importing these certificates? Guess I can switch to Apple mail instead
    of Entourage.

    read-the-signature, Nov 9, 2003