If anyone wants to gamble on an IDE Maxtor.....

Discussion in 'Dell' started by S.Lewis, Jan 16, 2006.

  1. S.Lewis

    S.Lewis Guest

    S.Lewis, Jan 16, 2006

  2. S.Lewis

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    Make sure you save the receipt; You're gonna need it!
    Maxtor drives are absolute crap! I have yet to have one last a year.
    FWIW, if you do have to RMA one, the new drive is grandfathered under the
    defective drives warranty, i.e. the replacement drive does not have a one
    year warranty, but only has the warranty remaining on the original drive.
    Another rip-off!

    Now that they have been bought by Seagate, I hope that Seagate brings them
    up to the same standard as Seagate drives.

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, Jan 17, 2006

  3. S.Lewis

    User N Guest

    That is actually a smart policy.

    User N, Jan 17, 2006
  4. S.Lewis

    D Guest

    I've had some Maxtors that've lasted about 4-5 years, then begin the
    slow death of a thousand bad sectors. However, the 250gb Maxtor's in
    the Dimension XPS systems have been a nightmare, especially in RAID
    setups. I've only seen those on calls, I'd never bother putting a
    RAID setup in a Dell.

    The seagate I owned in college lasted over seven years, then started
    dying one sector at a time...I still have it "in stasis" in the
    basement, and I'm sure it would still boot up if the opportunity
    required it.

    D, Jan 17, 2006
  5. "but only has the warranty remaining on the original drive. Another
    rip-off!"
    That is pretty much standard for just about everything well beyond the
    computer industry.
    It is not a rip off since the original warranty time is honoured. Also if
    it is near the end of the warranty, so days is normal if that is greater
    than time otherwise remaining.

    Not a rip-off but standard business practice.

    Jupiter Jones, Jan 17, 2006
  6. S.Lewis

    Liam Devlin Guest

    I wouldn't go for a Maxtor even if Maxtor offered me $60! I have spent
    more than that returning bum Maxtors the last 12-24 months.

    Liam Devlin, Jan 17, 2006
  7. S.Lewis

    Liam Devlin Guest

    Or takes them out back and administers 2 small caliber rounds to the
    back of the head.

    Liam Devlin, Jan 17, 2006
  8. S.Lewis

    Ole Guest

    Amen to the rotten Maxtors. I have a Dell XPS Gen 4 less than one year
    old that came with two 80G Maxtors. The first one failed in 4 months
    and was replaced by a Dell tech with a Western Digital 80G.

    Now the second Maxtor 80G just failed and the Dell tech replaced it with
    a 80G Seagate. I wouldn't buy another Maxtor even if Christ himself
    manufactured it. They are absolute misery and crap.

    Ole, Jan 17, 2006
  9. fwiw, i haven't found maxtor to be unusually weighted in the number of
    failures. they seem just as reliable (or unreliable) as anyone else. i
    often use them to replace defective drives because they are almost always on
    sale and readily available at any staples store. i have found that the
    western digital 80gb drives seem to be the most problematic i have seen in
    the last few years... but then again there are a tons of those out there.
    what i am saying is that these personal experiences don't really mean
    anything. and of course you should save your receipts for any hardware
    purchase so that you can readily claim warranty service but both maxtor and
    western digital provide hassle free warranty service if you the date of
    manufacture (dom) is with in a couple of months of the warranty period (of
    course this doesn't help eliminate the huge hassle of rebuilding the
    software on your system).

    Christopher Muto, Jan 17, 2006
  10. FWIW, I work for a company that has about 800 desktop computers. We buy
    strictly Dell Optiplex machines (both small form factor and mid-tower)
    as well as Latitude notebooks.

    We have had an outrageous number of 80GB maxtor's fail in these Dell
    machines. When we send them back to Dell for RMA, we specifically
    request that they send us Seagates instead. We have had very few of the
    Seagates die.

    So, take personal experiences with a grain of salt....but I wouldn't buy
    a Maxtor either. Seagate is my first choice and WD is my second.

    Patrick L. Parks, Jan 20, 2006