  1. reinhardt

    reinhardt Guest

    thanks for the help

    reinhardt, Mar 25, 2008

  2. reinhardt

    Ben Myers Guest

    Probably not. The drivers for the hardware a different between old and new
    computers. Windows would display the usual BSOD if you did so... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Mar 25, 2008

  3. reinhardt

    RnR Guest

    I agree with Ben Myers' post (based on experience).

    RnR, Mar 25, 2008
  4. it would have been helpful in answering your question if you stated the
    machine model numbers you are talking about as well as the operating system,
    but here is the generic answer...
    older dells typically had ide (aka pata) type hard drives, newer ones have
    sata type drives. the physical connections differ between these two drives.
    you could get an add on ide controller card to utilize the old drive in the
    new system or you could get an external hard disk enclosure that connects to
    the new machine via the usb port to use the old drive. the software image
    will be in tact including the operating system, applications, and your data,
    but you likely will only be able to use it for retrieving your data. if
    your old operating system is windows then it will not run correctly on a
    different set of hardware without a lot of work, more work than reinstalling
    windows again from scratch, and at best it will be a questionable build of
    windows.

    Christopher Muto, Mar 25, 2008