IIC on H8S/2633?

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by Darcy Roberts, Jul 9, 2004.

  1. Greetings all:

    I'm having difficulty getting the I2C module on the
    Renesas/Hitachi HD64F2633RTE28 to work properly for reads.
    (Bus Master only, single byte reads)

    Writes work great.

    Reads work mostly, but half the time I get an extra
    9 clocks for a single byte read. It only works if I
    insert a delay after the clearing IRIC after the first reading
    of ICDR. Sometimes the controller freezes with SCL held low.
    The target (slave) is an FM24C256.

    What I need to see is some correct non-interrupt C code
    (single byte write) that works. The application notes
    from Renesas are no help at all, with errors and poor descriptions.

    (Note: to reply, delete the last character before .com)

    regards,
    DArcy Roberts
    H T Watt and Associates Ltd.

    Darcy Roberts, Jul 9, 2004

  2. On Thursday, in article
    <zPmHc.36744$>
    Which suggests you have not got the acknowledge bit setting correct
    and/or a timing error on setting registers.
    The newest application note that covers that module is

    Using The Tiny IýC Interface In Master Mode
    H8/3664N

    Which includes commented C listings available from the European
    Renesas site. The same IIC module is used in the H8/Tiny series
    as the H8S/2633, Some functions may be disabled, but there is enough
    there to get you going.

    Try the following app notes

    <http://documentation.renesas.com/eng/products/mpumcu/apn/rej06b0104.pdf>
    <http://documentation.renesas.com/eng/products/mpumcu/apn/rej06b0126.pdf>

    Or the general IIC page

    <http://eu.renesas.com/servlet/reque.../F&DOC_TYPE=Application Notes&FUNCTION_FLG=1>

    My experiences with IIC and H8/H8S is mainly with adding the Philips
    PCF8584 controller to a processor that did not have the IIC controller
    due to the fact of design change after hardware and code for first
    stage was almost complete.

    Paul Carpenter, Jul 9, 2004