    As soon as the rev b mini comes out I am going to buy one without
    hesitation. And a few years down the road I will buy an intel inside
    iBook. Life is going on for the normals.

    hoarse with no name, Jun 7, 2005

  2. hoarse with no name

    ji m Guest

    If that's your opinion than you are vastly uninformed.

    How many cpu's were you stuck with that were purchased weeks before the
    68k-powerpc migration? How many $500 licenses did you have to buy since
    Quark (for one) considered the powerpc version of their product a new
    product rather than an upgrade?

    You can cheer all you want - i will move my depratment off of Mac's as
    Apple pretty much annonced today that all their hardware will be
    discontinued in the next 18 months. If you are spending tens of
    thousands of dollars for hardware I damn well better have a road map on
    it's life span. Same for software licenses - if i am spending $1k for
    each computer for adobe, another $500 for Quark, another $750 for
    Macromedia PER CPU you can't afford to be screwed.

    Apple can keep you as an individual and your mini. They make their
    profit off me and my high end systems.

    ji m, Jun 7, 2005

  3. hoarse with no name

    Steve Hix Guest

    And they *all* quit working the day the first PowerPC shipped.

    Oh, I remember the wailing and gnashing of teeth, the lamentations of
    the women, the...um...never mind.

    Those last 68K machines just kept on running as before, didn't they?
    That's right, blame Apple for Quark's idiot marketing department.

    Sheesh.

    Steve Hix, Jun 7, 2005
  4. hoarse with no name

    Ilgaz Ocal Guest

    Hi,

    Well I am not buying anything Intel but I think by tiny brain is not
    enough to figure HOW CAN YOU RACE WITH MICROSOFT on x86 PCs?!

    If I liked,used Intel based crap, there is Microsoft Windows XP out
    there. No, I don't pirate or anything, I 'd install my antivirus and
    anti spyware, enable firewall, I live happily with directx games.

    I'd do it right now but I won'T bin my G5 just like I don't bin my
    Nokia 7650, even buy software for it since its working. What would stop
    me from buying a good dual cpu mainboard, plug Matrox gfx card (my
    fav.) , install 4 gb of RAM and buy a Win XP OEM edition and live
    happily?

    Now did I sound "too" normal?

    Sorry

    Ilgaz

    Ilgaz Ocal, Jun 7, 2005
  5. hoarse with no name

    Ilgaz Ocal Guest

    Hi,

    I can'T speak for Quark but idiotic decisions like this one costs
    amazing money to software companies. OK, $500 could be rip off but its
    true. You wake up one day and decide to move to Intel, all those
    companies and IT departments go maniac.

    Ilgaz

    Ilgaz Ocal, Jun 7, 2005
  6. hoarse with no name

    Jim Guest

    Like this:
    For one, it's not an x86 PC, it's an x86 *Mac*. There will be
    differences.

    For two, someone, somewhere, is going to find a way of getting
    something like BOCHs to run, which means that people suddenly
    have the best of both worlds. They can run either Windows binaries
    or MacOSX binaries *from the same environment*. This means
    that you can buy a Dell, which only runs Windows (forgetting
    Linux/FreeBSD just for now) OR you can buy a Mac - which can run
    both. Plus it allows you to run Windows binaries but sandboxed
    so that viruses won't matter. People buy these machines initially
    to run both sets of apps, then gradually shift over to running the
    (hopefully superior) OSX apps.

    This has the potential to be the best way of beating Microsoft at
    their own game.

    Or suicide if they get it wrong.

    Time will tell.

    Jim

    Jim, Jun 7, 2005
  7. hoarse with no name

    Adrion Guest

    same thing when MS intros a version of software that is not backwards
    compatible with what an organization already has or is no longer
    supported and they are forced to upgrade at substantial $$$ when they
    purchase new systems.

    Adrion, Jun 7, 2005
  8. hoarse with no name

    Tim Murray Guest

    How many cpu's were you stuck with that were purchased weeks before the
    Did your Macs come to a grinding halt?
    Your job must be secure, since you're getting paid to take knee-jerk
    reactions.

    Tim Murray, Jun 7, 2005
  9. hoarse with no name

    Al Guest

    Did your Macs come to a grinding halt?
    Your job must be secure, since you're getting paid to take knee-jerk
    reactions.
    [/QUOTE]

    Check out the stock price. It has dropped 4 bucks in five days. Do the
    money guys know something we don't know?

    Al

    Al, Jun 7, 2005
  10. Check out the stock price. It has dropped 4 bucks in five days. Do the
    money guys know something we don't know?[/QUOTE]

    The "money guys" have never understood Apple's business. Just read any
    Wall Street analyst's writing on Apple from the past ten years.

    Jerry Kindall, Jun 7, 2005
  11. hoarse with no name

    Steve Hix Guest

    Check out the stock price. It has dropped 4 bucks in five days. Do the
    money guys know something we don't know?[/QUOTE]

    The money guys don't even know what the money guys know.

    They freak at anything other than "profits are waaaaaaaay up, and still
    climbing". It's not that they know anything useful, they just really,
    really, really hate anything resembling uncertainty.

    Steve Hix, Jun 8, 2005
  12. An important factor of the Macintosh platform is that it made people feel
    passionate about their machines, and loyal to it. How much that should be
    factored into business decisions, I do not know, but it would be silly to
    completely ignore that.

    Kristoffer Lawson, Jun 8, 2005
  13. And why is this bad?

    Kristoffer Lawson, Jun 8, 2005
  14. But it's still fairly natural for stocks to go down there. As you said, the
    key word is risk. This has the potential to do really bad things for Apple
    too.

    Besides, I wouldn't call going to x86 innovation.

    Kristoffer Lawson, Jun 9, 2005