    suggests it's video performance is not great, but just how bad? Is it
    likely to interfere with other more routine work which is not quite "3D
    games"?

    Ajanta, Nov 29, 2006

  2. Oh. Scratch the reply I originally wrote. (Fortunately I checked before
    posting it, so you never saw it). I had managed to forget that there was
    a current iMac model with the integrated GMA 950 graphics. Partially I
    had forgotten because I so immediately ruled it out of consideration
    that it didn't stick in my mind. The 17" 2.0 GHz model is a cmpletely
    different beast - not because of the 10% CPU speed difference, but
    because of the different graphics.

    My original unsent reply said (at more length) that the 17" iMac wasn't
    bad at all and I'd expect it to do fine. But that was for the 2.0 GHz
    model with the ATI X1600 video. For the 1.83 GHz model, well... I'm sure
    it is a fine machine for many things. In fact, it is probably fine for
    almost anything other than 3D graphics. No problem for most "serious"
    work, for example (exceptions exist, but if you were in those lines of
    business, you'd know). But you might about as well forget about any
    games that require 3D graphics. You won't be happy with them if they
    even condescend to install.

    Richard E Maine, Nov 29, 2006

  3. No. The graphics adaptor on that model is an excellent everyday 2D
    adaptor suitable for a variety of uses.

    It just does not have the pure grunt and memory that 3D games require.
    The Intel GMA 950 is essentially a laptop adaptor chipset, and it shares
    64Mb of main memory. You want a faster adaptor with 128MB or more of
    its own SDRAM. Get the 20 or 24in iMac instead, which will have decent
    3D capabilities.

    Clever Monkey, Nov 29, 2006
  4. Ajanta

    Ajanta Guest

    Thanks. I don't play 3D games, but I do watch photos, videos and visit
    websites some of which have heavy graphic content. My worry is, if a
    machine is unsuitable for 3D games, is it likely to be at least
    occasionally frustrating in normal life?

    Ajanta, Nov 29, 2006
  5. I'd expect it to be fine. Even the most "heavy graphic content" (and
    I'll avoid commenting on today's common euphemistic meaning of that
    phrase :)) is very undemanding of a graphics system compared to what 3D
    games need.

    Admitedly, I'm not offerring to reimburse you your money if I turn out
    to be wrong. :) But I would not envision a problem with that kind of
    activity.

    You might end up wanting a memory upgrade from 512MB to 1GB, but that's
    doable later and is customer installable. It isn't the kind of thing
    likely to be the deciding factor in whether that machine is right for
    you, since it is "fixable". And maybe you could get by without it. If it
    were me, I'd probably go for the memory upgrade.

    Richard E Maine, Nov 29, 2006
  6. Ajanta

    Bob Harris Guest

    I have a 2GHz MacBook which uses the same chip.

    I have watched HD podcasts videos, flash videos, Elgato EyeTV
    captured VHS videos, as well as pictures in my extensive photo
    library from my digital camera. I also surf the web and get lots
    of graphic content.

    This system works far better displaying this graphic/video content
    than any previous Mac I've owned.

    3D Games dynamically generate the picture you are seeing, and to
    do that it depends heavily on the GPU's ability to offload a lot
    of that work from the host CPU.

    This is not the case for displaying a JPG, PNG, Flash video, MPEG,
    Quicktime, etc... The iMac's graphic card will do very nicely
    for what you want to do.

    Bob Harris

    Bob Harris, Nov 30, 2006
  7. Ajanta