iMac G5 display brightness (compared with Powerbook)

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Eric Lindsay, Jan 1, 2005.

  1. Eric Lindsay

    Eric Lindsay Guest

    I'm considering a 20" iMac G5 as a replacement for a Dell desktop,
    however I'd like to know what people think of the display in the iMac.
    I am particularly interested in brightness, and to a lesser extent the
    contrast, and also the uniformity of the backlight.

    Apple claim 230 cd/m and a search turned up a claim of 350:1 contrast
    ratio. Apple say it provides an excellent 170 degree horizontal and 170
    degree vertical viewing angle (17" iMac G5 said to be 200 cd/m, and
    much more restricted 120 degrees h, 90 degrees v). I regret so far I
    haven't tuned up the equivalent figures for the Powerbook. Apple don't
    seem to put that in their specs.

    I switched last year from an IBM Thinkpad to a Powerbook 15 Al, and I
    really like it.

    However the brightness of the Powerbook display is not really coping
    with the normal level of daylight in the tropics where I live. I have
    the entire end of my room open to light (and air) so even a fair way
    into the room the ambient light is pretty bright. It would be even
    nicer if the iMac display would let me sit out in the breeze on the
    balcony (not in direct sunlight obviously).

    I can get away with using the Powerbook fairly well in Summer (the
    present season here in the southern hemisphere) because the sun is high
    in the sky, and/or there are clouds (rainy season). I can't really get
    away with it in Winter, even by retreating deep into the room.

    If someone has compared both a 20" iMac and a Powerbook display I'd
    really like to hear their impression.

    With the Powerbook, I notice that the brightness of the display is not
    particularly uniform. At all middle brightness settings, the display is
    brighter on the left hand side and dull to the right. This is not as
    noticeable on low or high brightness setting. I guess this is a
    consequence of the backlight being at one end of the display. Has
    anyone noticed this problem on the even larger iMac G5 display?

    Oh yes, the reason I haven't ever seen an iMac G5 to check for myself is
    that there are no Apple dealers anywhere close. I'm planning on looking
    when I next go to the big city, but that is a month and 2000 km away.

    Eric Lindsay, Jan 1, 2005

  2. Eric Lindsay

    matt neuburg Guest

    It's the best display from Apple that I've ever owned - much, much, much
    better than any Apple portable screen. If you go on the Apple discussion
    boards you will find that it is so bright that some users regard this as
    a problem (too bright). m.

    matt neuburg, Jan 1, 2005

  3. Eric Lindsay

    Dan Birchall Guest

    Eh... there are Mac users who aren't in the tropics? Huh. I see so many
    of 'em around here, I figured they'd all wound up here. ;)

    Dan Birchall, Jan 1, 2005
  4. Maybe Apple could run a series of commercials with you and other iMac
    users wearing sunglasses.

    Neill Massello, Jan 2, 2005