iMac OS8.1 driving me nuts - HELP

Discussion in 'Apple' started by tk fresh, Jan 4, 2004.

  1. tk fresh

    tk fresh Guest

    System:
    iMac 233/G3 + OS8.1 on one 6Gb HDD

    Problem:
    New Digital Camera needs OS9.1 to run

    Tried:
    Booting from OS9.1 CD - no boot up(works on my PowerPC)
    Booting from OS8.6 CD - no boot up(works on my PowerPC)
    Booting from original iMac restore CD after I created a 9.1 install
    disk image - boots up, but 8.1 not compatable with 9.1 install
    Booting from restore CD + hiding 8.1 system folder in trash + copying
    9.1 system folder image to HD - no boot up

    I have heard that iMacs are sensitive to boot disks, but this is
    CRAZY!
    Can I install 9.1 without erasing my HDD? I have no CDR on my iMac to
    backup.
    Is there a partitioning app that runs on 8.1/8.6 that will create an
    extended partition on my current HDD?

    disillusioned imac owner....

    tk fresh, Jan 4, 2004

  2. Since most iMac's can't boot 9.1, I'd return the camera for one that has
    MacOS X drivers. It's been this way for over a year. Where have _you_
    been? Jobs announced some time ago that MacOS X was the future and that
    future Macs would not boot earlier versions of the OS.

    Dump the camera and get one that works.

    Michael Vilain, Jan 4, 2004

  3. Yes, but check first to see if the OS 9.1 CD is generic.
    Since the OS 9.1 CD is likely an incremental upgrade disk,
    you'll also need a generic OS 9 CD. Generic = will work
    on any Mac with compatible hardware. Thus, a "PowerPC"
    disk won't work on an IMac.

    George Williams, Jan 4, 2004
  4. tk fresh

    Bev A. Kupf Guest

    ????
    The system in question certainly can. In fact the only iMacs that
    cannot boot 9.1 are the newer iMac/G4's that exclusively boot OS X.

    Bev A. Kupf, Jan 4, 2004
  5. tk fresh

    Robert Guest

    Are you using a store bought system cd or one that came with a system?
    Not all MacOS cd-roms are created equally. The system cd-roms that
    come with a system will only work on that model fo the system.
    Here is how I make a backup copy of an 8.1 system. Boot from the
    system cd. Duplicate the system folder.

    You should be able to get 8.1 and 9.1 on the same harddrive.

    Robert

    Robert, Jan 4, 2004
  6. As the original poster said, their iMac is curently running Mac OS 8.1,
    which implies an original revision A Bondi Blue iMac. They are trying to _
    upgrade_ to 9.1, not downgrade to it :)

    That era iMac will happily run 9.1. Indeed 8.1 which it came with had
    very poor USB support and I would recommend running at least 8.6 on any
    old iMac.

    As others have said the problem is likely model-specific Mac OS
    installer CD-ROMs.

    Apple II - FutureCop:LAPD - iMac Game Wizard
    http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~rojaws/

    Roger Johnstone, Jan 4, 2004
  7. tk fresh

    tk fresh Guest

    Thanks Roger, this makes sense.
    I have a model specific burned copy of OS9.1 install CD not an
    original generic copy. I would buy one, but I think I'll save my
    pennies & get a new Mac with Panther instead. For now the 8.6 will
    have to do.

    I did install & run OS9.1 & 8.6 on this said iMac when I brought it
    second hand from my local university. Then I started with two fresh
    hdds. I think I will do the same now. Backup & reformat with dual OS.

    Will OSX run on this iMac? (233Mhz/64RAM/6Gb) or should I stick to
    9.1?

    ta,

    tivadar

    tk fresh, Jan 6, 2004
  8. It can run Mac OS X, but you would need to upgrade the memory to the
    minimum 128MB of RAM. I used to run Mac OS X 10.1 on the same model iMac,
    but it had 192MB and a 20GB hard drive. The newer hard drive made a real
    difference, as it was twice as fast as the original 4GB drive. The
    processor is still a bit slow though for OS X. I never ran 10.2 or 10.3
    on it, but they are faster and are supposed to make a significant
    difference for older machines. The other problem with the revision A
    iMac is that it has an old video chip (ATI Rage IIc) which is not
    supported at all in Mac OS X for any accelerated video functions, so
    that slows things down a bit more too.

    Roger Johnstone, Jan 6, 2004
  9. tk fresh

    Robert Guest

    Will OSX run on this iMac? (233Mhz/64RAM/6Gb) or should I stick to
    You might try copying over the USB 9.1 extensions and placing them in
    the 8.6 folder. Maybe some shareware software would read from your
    camera. Be sure to back any data, etc. before trying at home.

    Please note the following:

    From: Pigeon Hohl ()
    Subject: Re: 233 iMac all-in-one CDs?

    View this article onlyNewsgroups: comp.sys.mac.apps
    Date: 2004-01-05 21:21:59 PST

    Here's the one you want:

    512MB. Regardless of what anybody says.

    Pigeon