    think. I can ping IP addresses but not host names? How do I resolve
    this? Any ideas how I can diagnose the problem.

    Thanks

    martin, Nov 5, 2004

  2. martin

    Bob Harris Guest

    start by looking at /etc/resolv.conf
    It should have your DNS name server IP addresses in it.
    If it does not, then try going to the Network System Preferences, and
    switch your network to a different location (assuming you have more than
    one location), and back again. This generally reloads the resolv.conf
    values.

    And finally consider that maybe the DNS addresses are not responding.
    It has happened, but most ISPs really hate that, and generally resolve
    it fairly quickly.

    Bob Harris

    Bob Harris, Nov 5, 2004