    get a "broken" gray apple screen (i.e. the gray apple with
    a nasty white random video overlay), and a hang.

    Help! Where do I go next.

    Allin Cottrell, Feb 25, 2004

  2. A bit more info, gleaned from attempting to boot in single-user
    mode. It's a kernel panic. I can't see the whole message,
    because the "You need to restart your computer" box is written
    on top of it, but here's some of the bad stuff:

    kld(): Undefined symbols:
    _ml_set_processor_voltage
    load_kmod(): kld_load_from_memory failed for kmod
    "com.apple.driver.AppleMacRISC2PE"
    panic(cpu0) Unable to find driver...

    Allin Cottrell, Feb 25, 2004

  3. Allin Cottrell

    Steve Guest

    Could be a 3rd party kernel extension you had installed under 10.2.4
    that doesn't like 10.2.8.

    See: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107043

    Holding the shift key on startup disables these extensions and lets you
    remove them if that's the problem.

    Another thing to check would be 3rd party RAM.

    Steve

    Steve, Feb 25, 2004
  4. Thanks. I wasn't aware of installing anything of that sort; and the
    Shift on start doesn't allow the boot to proceed.
    Hmm, it's all "out of box" imac hardware. Right now I'm trying
    re-installing Jaguar.

    Allin Cottrell, Feb 26, 2004