    out there SGI?

    Can anyone please guide as to why Macintosh and SGI is preffered for
    image and video manipulation.

    Sashank, Sep 18, 2003

  2. Sashank

    fatbrain Guest

    i run macs and pcs and been exposed to sgi machines. for straight
    photoshop work both macs and pcs are good. if your final output is
    mainly professionally printed material, macs are great because they
    come with software to help to calibrate colors, you can get add on
    calibration stuff for pcs as well, but its kinda nice that macs have
    that built in. if your main output is webpages/flash i really like
    using the pc, since you want to preview it on a platform that most
    users will see it on anyway. SGI machines are unix based and the
    creative world they are mainly used for high end special fx.

    for video, macs tend to be more expensive up front - IMHO, I think it
    is worth the added expense to buy a mac with final cut pro since the
    integration of hardware and software will be really tight.

    but if you on a bugdet and you still want high quality, but are
    willing to do a little more tweaking to set it up, try a pc with avid
    express or premiere. those are fine set ups as well.

    fatbrain, Sep 18, 2003

  3. Sashank

    Sashank Guest

    You (fatbrain) have specified the use of macs, pc, sgi on the basis of
    work to be done. That's fine.

    If you consider the processor performance i.e. the output the
    different processors give on the different computer platforms and if
    budget is not a concern which one should be preffered for video work.
    Is it SGI because it can support a large number of processors, which
    automatically gives more output in less time.

    Please comment whether Windows 2000/XP can be inatalled on SGI with
    four processors or more or may be just two. I read somewhere may be it
    can.

    Sashank, Sep 19, 2003