    installed. if you do, you only need to type 'the' in the same font and
    colour and position it where you want. otherwise it's going to be quite
    a bit more involved cloning the existing letters and lining them up.

    Guest, Jan 25, 2011

  2. Hi,

    I'm using Mac 10.6.3. I was wondering if someone can recommend some
    freeware or another method such that I can add the word "the" in the
    same font and size as "Welcome to" in this graphic

    http://www.lvcva.com/images/homepic.jpg

    Per the method, I am not skilled in image editing, but I'm sure
    something like this couldn't be that hard. Thanks for your advice, -
    Dave

    laredotornado, Jan 25, 2011

  3. Guest

    sbt Guest

    There might be some freeware out there that will let you achieve your
    goal...my best guess in that price range would be gimp. While it
    doesn't cost any cash, you will need to set up your system to use it
    and then learn the software well enough to place and size the text,
    then flatten the image. It depends what your time is worth.

    Easier, and relatively inexpensive, would be either GraphicConverter
    (shareware) or Photoshop Elements. Either is a tool well worth having
    in your workshop.

    sbt, Jan 25, 2011
  4. Acorn (http://flyingmeat.com/acorn/) would make it pretty easy, assuming
    you have the right font available.

    Tom Harrington, Jan 25, 2011
  5. Guest

    Warren Oates Guest

    You can download the shareware program Graphic Converter here:

    <http://www.lemkesoft.com/download.html>

    You can use it without registering. There's a nag screen, but if you
    only use it once a year, it's not a big deal. If you're going to be
    doing serious work with it, you should probably register. Mr. Lemke's
    one of the great Mac innovators. I registered it once, many moons ago,
    but nowadays we use Photoshop. The Gimp has been mentioned, and it's a
    good program, but you really need patience and a geekie soul to get it
    running on OS X. I found it easier to create a Linux VM and run the Gimp
    from there.

    That said, my advice re your graphic is to completely remove the text
    that's there and redo it (with the added "the" where you want it). That
    would be the easiest. Trust me. It's white text on a black background
    after all, and you won't have to start clipping around the words. Also,
    if you can't find your _exact_ font, you'll probably get close and your
    new version will at least be consistently fontish.

    Warren Oates, Jan 25, 2011
  6. If you have the font, adding the "the" isn't such a big deal.

    I think a bigger problem is that you'll have to "move" the "Welcome
    to" to the left to accommodate the "the."

    It might be more straightforward to simply fill in all the letters
    with black matching the background, and then put your slogan in
    in white letters in some font you like which you do have.

    I think you could do this with any of the software that posters have
    already mentioned.

    Doug Anderson, Jan 25, 2011
  7. THanks for all these responses. Many have pointed out that I need the
    font, but is there any way I can figure that out? I have no idea
    where this came from or who made it, - Dave

    laredotornado, Jan 25, 2011
  8. Guest

    Fred Moore Guest

    It's just a common-looking sans-serif display font. If you follow
    Warren's/Doug's suggestion you should be easily able to find another
    font which looks enough like the existing font to fake it. The all-black
    background makes this fairly easy. If the background isn't 100% black,
    just copy a large chunk of the unlettered existing background and paste
    it over the existing letters. Then type over that with the new lookalike
    font in white.

    Fred Moore, Jan 25, 2011
  9. Guest

    Suze Guest

    You have the software built into Preview and don't need any other
    software programs.

    Open the graphic in Preview. From the top menu, choose
    "Tools"->Annotate->Text.
    An annotation menu should now display at the bottom of your graphic.
    Click the italicized "Aa" at the right end of the annotate menu at the
    bottom of your open graphic, and select the Arial font, it looks like
    size 18 is about what you need.
    Select the font color white (little icon just to the right of the text
    box in the bottom menu lets you choose color)
    Select the text box icon in the bottom menu. Draw a box on your graphic
    about where you want the word, type in your word.
    Then grab the box with your cursor and move it around where you want it.
    Then save the graphic when you have it the way you want it. Voila, you
    are done.
    Upload your graphic and be happy that you have a Mac.

    Suze, Jan 25, 2011
  10. <[email protected]egated.
    example.com>,
    That'll be good for adding text on top of what's there, but I'm guessing
    he wants it to read "Welcome to the..." and not "The Welcome To...".
    Preview's text annotations won't help you insert text in the middle like
    that.

    Tom Harrington, Jan 25, 2011
  11. Redoing the text completely as others have suggested is probably the
    best idea. If you do want to identify it, <http://www.identifont.com/>
    may help.

    Tom Harrington, Jan 25, 2011
  12. Guest

    shiva das Guest

    It's Helvetica Neue Condensed Bold. NOT the Helvetica that came with
    your computer -- there are significant design differences.

    <http://www.linotype.com/13232/neuehelvetica77boldcondensed-font.html>

    There are 51 individual fonts in the Helvetica Neue family. Linotype
    charges $54.00 to license this one weight. Assuming you have a client to
    pay for it, that's a good price.

    shiva das, Jan 26, 2011
  13. Guest

    shiva das Guest

    <[email protected]egated.
    example.com>,
    That may work, but it isn't Arial. It's Helvetica Neue Condensed Bold.
    If a word was set in Arial and put in that line it would stick out like
    a sore thumb.

    I'm a graphic designer and typesetter.

    shiva das, Jan 26, 2011
  14. Guest

    TaliesinSoft Guest

    Helvetica Neue is a font family, and Helvetica Neue Condensed Bold is
    included, that is delivered with Snow Leopard - I don't know if it was
    inclluded in prior releases of OS X.

    TaliesinSoft, Jan 26, 2011
  15. Guest

    isw Guest

    You don't need to get that particular font, or download it, or install
    it; you don't even need to know what it's name is. The letters you need
    are all there in the existing text -- a little copy-paste work and Bob's
    Your Uncle.

    Isaac

    isw, Jan 26, 2011
  16. Guest

    Wes Groleau Guest

    The best method: Black out ALL the text from the graphic and just put
    TEXT over the image. CSS will position it for you.

    Second best: Forget "figuring out the font" and moving pieces of graphic
    around to fit it in. It won't fit in because the dithering won't be
    right. Instead, move the text around and copy the three letters you
    want from the same text - welcomE To .... autHority.

    Less than five minutes with GraphicConverter:

    http://UniGen.us/LVhomepic.jpg

    BUT, it's still Not Ideal to use graphics for text. You want visually
    impaired people to visit some other city?

    Wes Groleau, Jan 26, 2011
  17. Guest

    Suze Guest

    Thanks. I'm obviously not. <grin>

    Suze, Jan 26, 2011
  18. Guest

    Suze Guest

    I wasn't sure exactly where he wanted the "The"--all he asked was how to
    add the word.
    In that case, he could use annotation to select the widest line in black
    and cover up the entire text using the rectangle notation, and re-type
    whatever he wanted in white.

    Suze, Jan 26, 2011
  19. And one of the iWork programs (Pages or Keynote, depending on which
    appeals to you at the moment) make it easy to add a text box containing
    whatever you want.

    Matthew Lybanon, Jan 26, 2011
  20. Guest

    John Varela Guest

    You would also have to match the color of the existing text, a task
    that would require a better eye than I have.

    There are a T, an H, and a couple of E's in the existing text, so
    can't you just copy them?

    John Varela, Jan 27, 2011