    That is all my antiquaited contact program (DynoDex) can output.

    Help?

    Thanks,

    DaveC, Dec 19, 2003

  2. DaveC

    Ian Gregory Guest

    What OS?
    What do you mean by "Contacts menus"?

    In the case of Mac OS X -> Address Book -> File -> Import you
    can chose either vCards (RFC 2425/2426) or LDIF (RFC 2849).
    So whatever you are talking about it is quite likely that the
    answer to your question is "no", in which case you will first
    need to find a tool to convert DynoDex output to LDIF format.

    This could range from a simple Perl script right up to a full
    blown, all singing, all dancing contact manager thingy which
    has the ability to read DynoDex files and write LDIF (if such
    a beast exists). How are your Perl skills:)

    Ian Gregory
    Systems and Applications Manager
    Learning and Information Services
    University of Hertfordshire

    Ian Gregory, Dec 19, 2003

  3. DaveC

    DaveC Guest

    Running Address Book under OS X 10.2.8; DynoDex under Classic 9.2.2
    Oops... substitute "Address Book menus".
    Suggestions for a tool or application to do this conversion? DynoDex will
    export a tab- or comma-delimited format file, and I need to import LDIF into
    Address book. Ideas?
    Nonexistent.

    Thanks,

    DaveC, Dec 19, 2003
  4. DaveC

    jpmcwilliams Guest

    I used Cmd-Option on start up of iPhoto in order to rebuild the file
    structure. I had been having lots of quits during download of my Canon
    G-3, and am hoping this will help, and while the first small one went
    all right, I don't know if I am out of the woods yet.

    My question is, based on the observation that date order is gone, what
    exactly does it do?

    On my laptop, an [email protected], the first 500 photos are all rotated 90
    degrees, and I am wondering if a rebuild will cure this or not. The
    rebuild seemed also to resurrect some pics I thought were totally trashed.

    John McWilliams

    jpmcwilliams, Dec 19, 2003
  5. DaveC

    clvrmnky Guest

    You have your work cut out for you. The problem is well-defined, but
    requires some understanding of the data you have, and how it maps to
    LDIF. I found some links like this with a Google search:
    http://www.interguru.com/genrldif.htm

    clvrmnky, Dec 19, 2003
  6. DaveC

    jpmcwilliams Guest

    Ugh, my memory is lousy. Cmd-Option does nothing now, if it ever did.

    I had been having lots of quits during download of my Canon
    Sets the Prefs to default? I found that Pref was set to show by album
    name, not by date, which was easy enough to change, in Prefs, and it
    seems to have stuck.
    Sorry I started this in another thread; my bad for those who use
    Threaded as I do.

    John McWilliams

    jpmcwilliams, Dec 19, 2003
  7. DaveC

    ophion Guest

    I think that the key combination for iPhoto is Shift-Option.

    iPhoto recently stopped recognizing its library file on my machine. The
    rebuild fixed things (though the error should not have happened in the
    first place, of course).

    ophion, Dec 19, 2003
  8. DaveC

    jpmcwilliams Guest

    Bingo. Tried 6 others, but not that one.
    It rebuilds, but also leaves the entire original file in place. I have
    rebuilt 3 times to learn more about the process, and trashed the older
    folders to make more room on a limited size partition.

    I guess there's no built in way to use multiple libraries, although
    there's shareware, I find that renaming the main folder brings up a
    dialogue that iPhoto can't find its library, and would you like to.....

    So that's one way to have multiple libraries.

    John McWilliams

    jpmcwilliams, Dec 19, 2003
  9. DaveC

    Kent Clarke Guest

    Do you mean the contacts in Address Book? It can take vCard data too, no?
    Why not try http://homepage.mac.com/phrogz/CSV2vCard_2.html#

    Kent Clarke, Dec 20, 2003