    but I'll spare you an infinite amount of tedium by simply asking:

    How the hell do you do this?

    Pigeon

    Pigeon Hohl, May 14, 2004

  2. Pigeon Hohl

    Guest Guest

    The easiest way, by far, is to use IMAP. Point your
    old OE at your IMAP account, move all your mail there,
    point your new machine at that account and, well, don't
    bother moving it again - just leave it there, since
    that's where it ought to live anyway.

    Way way easier than screwing around with import/export crap.

    And once the mail is on the IMAP server, you can change
    machines and mail clients at will and never ever have
    to import/export mail anywhere ever again.

    Guest, May 14, 2004

  3. Pigeon Hohl

    Pigeon Hohl Guest

    I guess I'll try this. I have around 29MB worth of e-mails,
    my account has a 10MB limit, and I have a dial-up.
    I suppose I can forward the e-mails to myself in 3 stages,
    and download the e-mails to the new machine.

    It sounds tedious, but appears to be the only way.
    Thanks for the tip.

    Pigeon

    Pigeon Hohl, May 14, 2004
  4. Pigeon Hohl

    Guest Guest

    Ooh. 29MB on dialup is not the way to do this.

    Network the two machines together and play the import/export
    game, I think.

    You'll have an Outlook Express data folder somewhere.
    You need to copy that folder to the new machine.

    Once you've done that OS X Mail.app has an "Import Mail"
    feature. Use that.

    Use IMAP in the future, though.

    If you have only 10mb, I'm going to guess that you're
    using a .mac account. For mail, they're one of the
    worst deals going. I have a .mac account - for other
    things - but for mail, I recommend Fastmail.fm (though
    I've heard very good things about some others, like
    Runbox.com).

    Guest, May 14, 2004
  5. Create the Macintosh HD:Documents:Microsoft User Data folder, then drop the
    Identities folder in it.

    Jennifer Mullen, May 15, 2004