Improvement with mobo USB after adding a UPS

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Guest, Aug 4, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    No I am not advertising for UPS usage <g>.

    I have an older AT7 mobo which has had problems in the past with my USB ports.
    It seems they were not connecting properly in some way, since often I would boot
    and my USB mouse would not connect and occasionally I would even have problems
    with my USB keyboard, or if I tried to move the mouse or keyboard to other USB
    ports no connection was made.

    About a week ago I got a UPS for my computer and monitor. Since then all of my
    USB ports now work flawlessly. This appears to suggest some power issue. Can
    this be:

    1) Brownouts, or an unsteady electrical current, in my normal electrical
    connections through my home's outlets ( I do live in the country ) ?

    2) A computer power supply ( Enermax 430 ) which is not functioning properly ?

    3) A short on the mobo ?

    4) USB ports that were not grounded properly when I originally inserted my mobo
    ? ( I know there are overhanging metal tabs on the top of mobo where the USB
    ports are but I never understood whether these should be touching the top of my
    USB ports or not, or inserted between the USB ports and my back panel in some way ).

    Although the USB ports are now working properly, I am still interested in
    investigating any of the reasons for why they did not work before. Or maybe I
    should just be satisfied that they now work, and leave things as they are.

    Any Abit hardware gurus out there with any knowledge or advice they can give me,
    I would be glad to get it as long as it is well-meant. Thanks !

    Guest, Aug 4, 2005

  2. Guest

    Wes Newell Guest

    Well then I will. Compare a UPS to a cars fuel filter. What happens to
    your car when the fuel filter gets clogged? Sputters, dies, etc. Same
    thing happens to your computer when the power source drops.
    Very possible.
    Not likely, although some PSU's with larger caps will work slightly
    better, but not enough to make a real difference.
    Not likely. The UPS wouldn't fix that.
    If the ups corrected the problem one can only assume one had a power
    problem.
    Take the UPS out of the system and see if they fail again. That should
    answer your question.

    Wes Newell, Aug 4, 2005

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I agree this is almost certainly the case, but I guess I am curious to find out
    why. Does the UPS supply a more constant voltage by internally dealing with
    intermittent spikes or voltage fluctuations in my electrical line ?
    I am almost too happy to get everything working to remove the UPS but sure, I
    can do it <g>. If I remove the UPS and then get intermittent failures again, the
    question still remains if I can discover why the UPS is fixing my problem. I
    guess that is why I posted originally, to see if anyone had any ideas.

    Guest, Aug 4, 2005
  4. Guest

    Wes Newell Guest

    Depends on the UPS. Some constantly supply regulated power (and this is
    usually better) while some just do a quick switchover to the regulated
    power when power drops below a certain point. These might still cause
    problems if they don't switch fast enough. But that shouldn't be a problem
    unless the PSU is weak or overloaded.
    It would be a power source problem if it fails again when you take the ups
    off line.

    Wes Newell, Aug 4, 2005
  5. Guest

    Bill Guest

    The only way to tell for sure is to get one of these:
    http://www.electrical-contractor.net/the_store/AM/LAS800.htm
    and record your house power. Kinda pricey though.

    Bill

    Bill, Aug 4, 2005
  6. Guest

    Guest Guest

    No I am not willing to spend that kind of money for a Voltage Spike Recorder,
    nor do I know what it would prove.

    Guest, Aug 5, 2005
  7. Guest

    Mortimer Guest

    Kind of a smart-ass reply to someone who was just trying to be helpfull.

    Mort

    Mortimer, Aug 5, 2005
  8. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I did not mean it that way. The price tag for such a device is exorbitant, and I
    do not understand how such a device could be useful for determining a possible
    power problem on my system. It might determine a power problem in the electrical
    lines where I live, but even that seems inconclusive to me since if there were
    no problem with my electrical system, I would still have to investigate other
    systems. For the price of the device mentioned I could probably build a very
    good new system.

    Guest, Aug 5, 2005
  9. Guest

    Bill Guest

    A: It would either show or eliminate your power as the problem.

    B: You actually hire a guy who owns one of these to check your power
    for somewhat less money than the purchase of the equipment.

    C: You just leave the UPS on and be thankful that your power has
    disappeared.

    How much do you want to spend to scratch the itch of your curiosity?
    You won't find a definitive answer here, just guesses, some educated,
    some wild assed, but still guesses.

    Maybe you have a bad electrical outlet. Just another wag, but I've
    seen it happen. They do wear out you know.

    You eliminate all the possibilities one at a time until you've found
    the problem. Sherlock Somebody.

    Bill

    Bill, Aug 5, 2005