    I would appreciate any thoughts on why that maybe and also if there is
    a better way to share files (I guess HTTP-FTP would be the most
    sensible option ).

    navti, May 30, 2007

  2. SMB/CIFS is set to be correct out of the box, not fast. There are a lot
    of ways to improve the performance if you know what to measure and how
    your network is built. See the free O'Reilly book on Samba for tuning
    hints. You may also want to sniff the traffic to see is there are a lot
    or packets being resent or dropped for some reason. Network tuning is a
    bit of a black art, so be prepared to spend evenings with dangerous,
    dusty tomes.

    Alternatives are to use sftp to transfer files, or something like NFS if
    you want the one or more boxes to host files for the other on a
    semi-permanent basis.

    Clever Monkey, May 30, 2007

  3. navti

    tacit Guest

    I transfer files to and from a Gentoo box using netatalk. Works very
    well.

    tacit, May 31, 2007
  4. navti

    Wes Groleau Guest

    NFS or FTP on a secure LAN

    SFTP if you're not sure your LAN is secure

    ZIP drive if you're REALLY paranoid.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    There ain't no right wing,
    there ain't no left wing.
    There's only you and me and we just disagree.
    (apologies to Jim Krueger)

    Wes Groleau, May 31, 2007
  5. navti

    Tom Stiller Guest

    I use MacFUSE and Secure Remote Disk to "mount" Linux volumes.

    Tom Stiller, May 31, 2007