    control. The PVR (it's USB 2) was designed for use with Windows Media
    Center, so I don't know how it will work with Vista Business.

    I like Vista, but these "little" glitches are holding me back.

    Journey, Apr 17, 2007

  2. Vista is a LOT more friendly if you right click the start button and
    select the "Classic" start menu (which also gives you the "Classic"
    desktop). You still get Aero and all of the other eye candy.

    Barry Watzman, Apr 17, 2007

  3. Journey

    Journey Guest

    Yep I did that a long time ago. I always have it on classic. I do
    like being able to type in a program name and select it, but I wish
    they would implement that *and* a hierarchical menu. Choosing Vista's
    way doesn't allow both.

    Journey, Apr 17, 2007
  4. Journey

    Journey Guest

    Oh well, I decided on a different approach. I am going to leave both
    of my desktops as XP. That will enable me to run trial software on my
    old P4, and if it's useful then I can install it on the X410. Life is
    simpler if they are both XP because the tools that I will be using are
    for XP -- so now I can use the extra horsepower of the Core 2 on those
    tasks.

    I will convert my laptop to Vista. It's actually a perfect fit -- all
    the software I need runs well on it, and Vista (IMO) is more
    laptop-friendly in the way Explorer uses less space.

    So, no dual boots, bios off and ons... a Vista laptop will be fun!

    Journey, Apr 17, 2007
  5. Journey

    RnR Guest

    As others have said, Vista is not ready for prime time. All the more
    reason why I'm waiting perhaps for SP1 or later. I don't deny that
    Vista will take over XP's popularity in time.

    RnR, Apr 17, 2007
  6. Journey

    Journey Guest

    I think it depends on the individual's situation. Vista is prime time
    for some people if they use mostly office type productivity apps and
    have drivers for their scanner or printer. My HP 7410 all-in-one
    monster printer has Vista drivers.

    So, I guess whether it is prime time or not depends on individual
    situations. My experience is that at least it's stable -- I don't
    recall having any abends or freeze-ups during the time I've used it.

    I wanted to "experience Vista" and I chose my XPS 410 for that, but
    it's not a good fit because it needs special drivers for a TV tuner,
    external sound card, and needs to be able to run all kinds of
    utilities.

    However, my laptop is perfect for Vista. I don't have any special
    requirements, so that's where it will be prime time for me.

    Journey, Apr 17, 2007
  7. Journey

    RnR Guest

    I gotcha you.

    It seems tho just reading from this newsgroup, almost all who try
    Vista now, go back to XP for practical reasons but as time goes by, I
    expect this will change. But I don't blame people who already have
    Vista, to want to try it tho. Why not of course?

    Appreciate your feed back on your Vista experiences. I think I'll
    still wait a while <grin>.

    RnR, Apr 17, 2007
  8. Journey

    Ben Myers Guest

    Have you felt the WOW! yet? What does it feel like? ... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Apr 17, 2007
  9. Journey

    RnR Guest

    I've yet to hear the WOW from anyone <grin>.

    RnR, Apr 17, 2007
  10. I have Vista installed on a spare hard drive on one of my Toshiba
    laptops (it's actually the last RC version of Ultimate; I have received
    from Toshiba "Vista Business", but I have not installed that).

    After I got it configured and changed the start menu (and, thereby, the
    desktop) to "Classic" I kind of like it, except for all of the
    "permission requests" (the guy with the earpiece, sunglasses and black
    suit in the Apple commercials). I may turn off UAC (user account
    control) to squelch that.

    However I'm still not using it for my "main" computing stuff.

    Barry Watzman, Apr 17, 2007
  11. Journey

    RnR Guest

    Barry, what is your overall opinion of Vista at this point? Why?

    RnR, Apr 17, 2007
  12. Journey

    Tom Scales Guest

    Ok, WOW!

    I actually like it. I've had a few challenges (can you say HP printer
    drivers?), but minor. It is very stable for me --- no problems at all.

    It's plenty fast, but I have an E6600 processor with 3Gb Ram.

    Really, it was all worth it for the cool Windows-Tab feature.

    Tom Scales, Apr 17, 2007
  13. Journey

    RnR Guest

    For me XP is very stable and fast. Most people say Vista is slower
    than XP but some say it runs okay even on older pc's, go figure??
    And if the Windows-tab feature is what I think it is (multiple desktop
    screens), there is 3rd party software to do the same in XP tho I don't
    use it.

    That said, I'll note that from my readings, you are the first to WOW
    Vista !! Probably the ratio of non WOW to WOW based on my readings
    tho is about 10 to 1. 10 is what I estimate I read who actually tried
    Vista so far in this newsgroup (not counting outside the newsgroup).
    I realize tho WOW or no WOW, we'll probably all (well most of us)
    migrate to Vista in time. Hopefully when I do, I'll buy another
    laptop with a 4 or 8 core and 3 gigs of ram then (Dell, hope you have
    your ears on).

    RnR, Apr 17, 2007
  14. Journey

    Journey Guest

    Actually - no Wow! experience for me. Do they use all caps in their
    "WOW!"? Even that's poor judgement.

    IMO there are not any user interface improvements like (as i've said
    often) being able to rearrange task bar buttons with drag and drop,

    I do like being able to run a program from the start menu by typing
    its name, but that feature's not available if one wants to have a
    hierarchical Programs menu. If they would have combined the
    hierarchical menu with that feature it would have been a great
    interface (Info Select has a great search system similar).

    Tom had mentioned that he thought Vista ran faster on his PC.
    Initially I didn't think so, but now I think it's at least even. I
    like being able to see large thumbnails quickly.

    Windows Explorer in Vista is great -- kudos to them for that. Vista's
    the first OS that I might be comfortable letting drives be indexed in
    the background. That is something I would use with my laptop esp. if
    I start receiving e-mail there.

    Vista would have been much better off if they bought many of the
    interface improvement companies, and used the sysinternals guys along
    with the Vista team to integrate it,

    So -- no, I don't feel the Wow! I feel majorly disappointed. I they
    they have a "wannabe" Mac type interface -- no cigar.

    (but I really am excited about using it on my laptop, and I'm glad to
    reclaim the 250G hard drive on my XPS).

    Journey, Apr 17, 2007
  15. Journey

    Journey Guest

    Instead of "WOW!", I think people are saying "OW!!!"

    Journey, Apr 17, 2007
  16. Journey

    Journey Guest

    Do you know if it's possible to have the "classic", with the
    hierarchical programs menu, and to be able to type the program name in
    to find it?

    Journey, Apr 17, 2007
  17. Journey

    Journey Guest

    HP is notorious for bad drivers. There are drivers for my HP 7410 --
    I hope they didn't botch them further.
    That's what I have too, and I am glad I was able to find that on the
    outlet (w 4G RAM). I haven't tried the "ready boost" and don't know
    what it does or if it will help mudh.
    Oh yes, definitely. The 3-d interface is one of those features that
    come along once a decade and WOW! PC users.

    Seriosly, I like it, but there are cheap utilities for XP that will do
    the same thing, and possibly better

    Journey, Apr 17, 2007
  18. Journey

    Journey Guest

    Yeah, 4 or 8 core, LED display, solid state flash hard drive, amazing
    battery life.

    I am considering buying Sandisk. I think they will be a major player
    in the change to flash hard drives.

    Journey, Apr 17, 2007
  19. I'm not sure I've used it enough to say. I like the "eye candy", I like
    the added security but it's too intrusive unless you turn off UAC (which
    does away with some of the added security). It's different, a lot of
    things are done differently and/or in different places, that's a factor
    that takes a lot of getting used to. I've actually only used it for 10
    to 20 hours, so my experience is limited. I had a lot of trouble
    getting networking working between my Vista & XP machines, but I
    resolved that (and I posted how I did it here on this board, and in a
    few other places). In general, residential users will have to change
    some things to get their Vista networking running and connecting. And
    for me, changing the start menu to "classic" was just about mandatory.

    Barry Watzman, Apr 17, 2007
  20. The Windows tab feature is indeed cool.

    Barry Watzman, Apr 17, 2007