Incompatibility between fdisk and partition magic in 7K60 hard disk

Discussion in 'IBM Thinkpad' started by sea, Dec 4, 2003.

  1. sea

    sea Guest

    Hello everyone,

    I just have a new hard disk (Travelstar 7K60, 60GB) mobile disk for my
    thinkpad T30. Unfortunately, after partitioned by fdisk in redhat
    9.0, the partition table can not be read in partition magic (8.0). I
    haven't such problem with another hard disk (Travelstar 40GNX, 40GB).
    If I partitioned in windows, intallation of linux would show some
    error message about inconsistance in BIOS geometeries and disk.
    Strangely, althogh this error could be ignored in linux, Partition
    Magic reported errors about unequal values in CHS and LBA in Windows.
    Linux somehow did changes to the table, which is not recognized by
    Partition Magic. Is that due to the large capacity of my new disk? Or
    linux and partition magic use different type of partition table in the
    MBR?

    I am looking forward to someone's help and advice. Many thank in
    advance.

    Best regards,
    Hai

    sea, Dec 4, 2003