incorrect VRM, can I repair the server ?

Discussion in 'HP' started by Var Log, Nov 9, 2004.

  1. Var Log

    Var Log Guest

    hi all

    When a bad VRM is used on an HP netserver LC3, can it be repaired ?

    The server had a P2 CPU and a correct VRM, everything was working
    fine. Some spare parts were found, and tried on this server.

    This server has been started with an incorrect VRM, for pentium pro.
    It starts with this VRM, SCSI disks are running, but the screen
    remains black. The server has started but is unusable.

    And going back to the correct VRM, it does not work anymore: same
    thing as with the incorrect VRM.

    Then can we repair this server, are there some fuse to be changed ????
    or shall we put it to trash ?

    Many thanks in advance for your help.
    Mik

    Var Log, Nov 9, 2004

  2. Var Log

    Ben Myers Guest

    There is a reasonable probability that the motherboard has failed due to use of
    the wrong VRM. SCSI and IDE disks often spin up even if the motherboard is
    completely dead. If you have a Power On Self Test (POST) card to insert in a
    PCI slot, it would reveal the cause of the failure of the system to start
    properly. A typical POST card shows voltages supplied to the motherboard in
    addition to the digital readout of the POST code, emitted by the BIOS to
    indicate progress through the POST. If you power up the system and the POST
    card shows NO POST code at all, that would be a good indication that the
    motherboard has failed completely... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Nov 9, 2004

  3. Var Log

    Johnson_dk Guest

    Normaly thise "just" kills the processor, try another proc, with the right
    VRM

    Best regards

    Johnny

    Johnson_dk, Nov 11, 2004