increasing disk space, Poweredge 600SC using IDE RAID

Discussion in 'Dell' started by david, Mar 29, 2006.

  1. david

    david Guest

    How can I increase disk space on a Dell Poweredge 600SC server? Please
    critique, suggest, or instruct regarding the following.

    It contains 3 identical IDE disks driven by a RAID card ("CERC"). That
    card's bios utility reveals that the first 2 disks are blended into an
    array, the 3rd one appears to be on its own:

    Physical Drives
    Ch0 0:A0:Online:38138MB
    Ch1 0:A0:Online:38138MB
    Ch2 0:Master:38138MB
    Ch3

    Logical view:
    Logical Drives
    Array0
    LD0:RAID1:38138MB:Optimal

    Physical view:
    Logical Drives
    Array0
    CH0 ID0:Online:38138MB
    CH1 ID0:Online:38138MB

    The machine can hold 4 disks, and the RAID card has channels for 4
    disks.

    How to increase disk space? I'm thinking

    1) I could create a 2nd array of disks, which would then be visible
    and available to the OS to be partitioned, formatted, and utilized.
    The 2 constituent physical disks for this 2nd array should be
    identical, no? While the current array consists of 40GB drives, I
    could make the new disks, hence the new array, be 120GB or 160GB or
    some larger size, right? I should eliminate the current, 3rd 40GB disk
    which isn't part of any array, I think.

    2) forget RAID, the motherboard has unused IDE interfaces. I could
    just install an IDE drive and the OS would see it.

    david, Mar 29, 2006

  2. david

    NuTCrAcKeR Guest

    does the CERC support Online RAID Migration and Expansion? You might be able
    to "add" the other disk to the mirror, and convert it to a RAID5 set.

    - NuTs

    NuTCrAcKeR, Mar 29, 2006

  3. david

    Eric H Guest

    But that wont give it more space, only make it fault tolerant.

    Eric H, Mar 29, 2006
  4. david

    PeterD Guest

    Humm, three 38 gig IDE drives, needs more space...

    How about the obvious: get three 200 gig IDE drives and toss those
    38s?

    PeterD, Mar 29, 2006
  5. david

    david Guest

    OK maybe. So, do I even need a 3rd disk?? What's that 3rd disk doing
    anyway? The documentation
    (http://docs.us.dell.com/support/edocs/storage/CERC_ATA/en/sw/index.htm)
    mentions an extra drive can be configured as a "hot spare." In the
    Web-bios utility, I didn't see explicit evidence my 3rd disk is
    actually playing that role.

    How would I clone what's already there onto the new drives? Even if I
    did, do these drives have an MBR that the system looks to for a
    bootloader, as would be the case for a regular primary-master IDE
    drive? (I guess so, since the system does boot and there are no other
    drives.) Part of the attraction of only adding to what's already there
    is not disturbing what's already there. Do the mirrored drives have a
    regular partition table-- if I plugged one onto a regular IDE cable
    would it be normally accessible to me?

    david, Mar 30, 2006
  6. david

    NuTCrAcKeR Guest

    incorrect. The mirror uses the space of 2 disks to provide the space of 1.
    RAID5 would use 3 disks to provide the space of 2. So, he would go from a
    38GB mirror, to a 76GB RAID5 Set.

    Remember, with RAID5, Capacity is: (NxY) - N . where N = the phyiscal disk
    capacity, and Y is the number of physical Disks. (38 x 3) - 38 = 76

    He keeps his fault tolerance, and doubles his space.

    - NuTs

    NuTCrAcKeR, Mar 30, 2006
  7. david

    NuTCrAcKeR Guest

    This is one of the reasons why IDE SUCKS for servers ....

    NuTCrAcKeR, Mar 30, 2006