Increasing FSB in relation to PCI/AGP speed

Discussion in 'AMD Overclocking' started by Chogaire, Feb 15, 2004.

  1. Chogaire

    Chogaire Guest

    I'm rather a newbie as OC'ing goes, so I wondered if I can pick you guy's
    brains?

    I have a locked XP 2400+ T-Bred, so it's FSB increase or non at all. I've
    shied away from OC'ng because of the relation to PCI and AGP speeds doing it
    this way, but I'm always hearing that there is often a tolerance of *mild*
    PCI/AGP speed increase. So, just as an experiment, and nothing major OC
    wise, and knowing my RAM limitations (PC2100), I put my FSB up from 133/33
    to 140/35. I did this in small steps to test for
    stability and run SETI and 3Dmark 2001 SE for a couple of hours at each
    increase. All my steps were stable and with no problems at all. I stopped at
    the 140FSB because that brings my CPU speed to 2100 (from 2000) and
    considering that makes my CPU nearly an 'XP 2600+' from an 'XP 2400+', that
    aint too shabby and I don't wish to push my luck any further. So, I'm left
    wondering if this is safe for me
    to keep it at this? My temps are fine by the way. Am I risking hurting my
    set up, or is this very mild increase in PCI and AGP speed likely to be
    fine? I intend to get better RAM by the way! Here is my system:

    Asus A7V333 mobo
    Athlon XP 2400+ T-Bred
    512MB PC2100 Corsair 'value select'
    Radeon 8500LE (64MB)
    SoundBlaster Live! Player 5.1

    Many thanks for any forthcoming input.

    Chogaire, Feb 15, 2004

  2. Chogaire

    Wes Newell Guest

    There shouldn't be a problem with the way you have it setup now. Your
    biggest concerns are the PCI/AGP bus speeds and the ram bus speed. You can
    set the ram bus speed serperately with this board so you should be able to
    keep it within limits regardless of FSB speed. I'd look for a setting
    higher than 140 for the FSB that also keeps the pci down. Any that would
    keep the pci bus close to (or below) the normal 33Mhz speed. It's possible
    but not likely you could get all the way to 15x166 by raising vcore, but
    something up to about 160 seems more realistic.

    Wes Newell, Feb 15, 2004

  3. Chogaire

    ~misfit~ Guest

    35MHz should be ok for PCI. I've had HDD corruption at 38MHz (older HDD
    though) that required a total re-install of windows.
    Try running Prime95 in torture-test mode for several hours. It is *the*
    standard for establishing stability.

    ~misfit~, Feb 16, 2004