Increasing RAM on Dimension 8400, will Installing Hi Speed RAM get quicker response from Dragon Natu

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Daniel G., Apr 4, 2008.

  1. Daniel G.

    Daniel G. Guest

    Hi All,
    I've got a Dimension 8400 w/a P4 3.62 and 1 GB DDR PC2-3200 RAM. I'm
    running XP SP2 and use my PC mostly for 'net access, downloading music
    and video, ripping & burning CDs and DVDs, some video capture and
    manipulation to burn to DVDR. I also have Dragon Naturally speaking
    which I'd like to use more often but it doesn't always respond as fast
    as I think it could w/ a bit more RAM. I'm thinking of bringing my
    total RAM to 3 GB. My question is, how big a difference would there be
    if I were to use fast RAM such as
    http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=C2F69626A5CA7304

    as apposed to a slower RAM like THIS...

    http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=0033919CA5CA7304

    I'm aware I'd have to upgrade to the 2 512 MB chips to the same
    speed. Would there be a big difference in Dragon's responsiveness? Any
    info is greatly appreciated!

    Daniel G., Apr 4, 2008

  2. Daniel G.

    Ben Myers Guest

    As long as the speed of the RAM meets the minimum (PC2-3200) required by the
    system, you will see little or no improvement in speed or software
    responsiveness from memory faster than the minimum... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Apr 4, 2008

  3. Daniel G.

    wm_walsh Guest

    Hi!
    More RAM never hurts anything. Going to 3GB is your best bet with a 32-
    bit version of Windows.
    Your system was designed for a certain RAM speed, and may have an
    acceptable number of ranges at which it can operate. It is very likely
    that you would see no gain at all from the faster, more expensive RAM
    since it will most likely end up running at the same speed your
    current RAM does. (This is true even if you remove the currently
    installed RAM.)

    Speech recognition is a processor intensive process, and I don't know
    much about how Dragon's software works internally. I don't see more
    memory helping out a lot, though, as the software will still have to
    process what it hears and that is the time consuming part.

    William

    wm_walsh, Apr 4, 2008
  4. Daniel G.

    wm_walsh Guest

    Hi!
    I'm not sure Dell system setup will give you access to the RAM
    timings. (The Dim8300 doesn't, although it is a different beast and I
    know that Dell did a major rework on the 8400 BIOS...)

    Even if it did, choosing RAM that operates faster could result in wait
    states being inserted so the CPU can "keep up".

    William

    wm_walsh, Apr 5, 2008
  5. Daniel G.

    S.Lewis Guest

    Most (if not all) Dell BIOS settings concerning both CPU and RAM are locked
    and cannot be altered/adjusted short of CPU or RAM changes.

    S.Lewis, Apr 6, 2008