    There are often times that I am not able to pick up a signal, or it is a
    very weak one, though my desktop mac computer has no problem connecting and
    the strength is strong.

    Mike, Feb 28, 2005

  2. Mike

    Chris H. Guest

    Wireless is very environmental, Mike, as you probably know. I don't know,
    since you didn't say, what type of LAN you're talking about or what the
    physical circumstances of the use are, but if it is one you control, you
    might try changing channels on the base station/router. If you're in a
    situation where you're at a distance from your router, you might try using a
    true Access Point to expand your LAN.

    Chris H., Feb 28, 2005

  3. By true access point, chris means, somthing like a Linksys "Access Point".
    These are great devices, to expand your Wifi Network by actually logging on
    as another Host or device on the wifi, then making another wifi network.
    These can cost around $80. Less if you shop around.
    Another option is a Range Expander, these do just that, but lamely it just
    repeats received signals. great for not making a seperate network. but still
    cost around $80. The better choice is of course the AP, because for the same
    price, you have better control, and you can then hook up a hub to the AP and
    have a wired network, also connecting to the wireless. Very Versatile!
    Your computer may have the ability to power up the "radio" better, but that
    I dont know. If you do manage the network you're connecting to, try moving
    the (lack of better words) Access Point to a better location. Some wireless
    cards can receive better than others, and being that your card may be
    internal on your computer it may have a hard time hearing the signal due to
    the metal in your computer and it deflecting (sheilding) the signal. Whereas
    the desktop has a better signal because it's not as sheilded.

    Hope that explains it a bit.
    Other problems include, Wireless 2.4ghz Phones, Metal Stair Banisters (I had
    this problem, AP was on the other side of the hallway, where my room was
    "blocked" by the banister, deflecting the signal to my room only, where other
    rooms next to mine, could get excellent signal!), and other wireless devices
    ie. BlueTooth, and your computer may be getting "noise" from the other
    computers, even flourescent lights may cause problems.

    -James

    flibbertigibbet007, Feb 28, 2005
  4. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Thanks guys for the advice. I was hoping that there might be a setting on
    the M200 somewhere.
    I am going to look into your suggestions.

    Mike, Feb 28, 2005
  5. For settings on the computer it self, check in the bios. I know thats a long
    shot, but its a try. Another is check for driver updates, I know that the
    Intel 2200 BG had updates fairly quickly, one of which turned off the
    promiscous mode, and then the recent that enabled it again, but then turned
    off the power management, now I assume that it's useing full power. But I
    dont know. Check for updates for the driver, they may have power management
    there.
    Other options, are that you could (hopefully your waranty is up) open the
    computer, drill a hole on the side or back, and attach an external antenna.
    Leading on the inside with a "pigtail" to the wireless card. This is risky,
    and no one here would even mention this, but I have been looking into this
    for my Gateway M275. There are some great attachable antennas one is called
    "Bullet" this is supposedly great for non line of sight areas. I am a ham
    radio operator, and I know alot about radio and equipment, but im just a
    little confused about how the bullet works, but it's supposed to be the best
    offered now for 802.11 (2.4ghz) frequencies. maybe search on google.com for
    some other ideas. search for "2.4ghz" "antennas", "802.11", "wireless"
    Good luck.
    -James

    flibbertigibbet007, Feb 28, 2005
  6. Mike

    Jan Wagner Guest

    If it has Intel 2200BG, you can get the v9.0.1 drivers from Intel's site
    (if Toshiba doesn't have the newer ones). It allows you to set the
    transmit power, e.g. right-click on the xp wlan connection icon in
    the task tray, Status, Properties, Configure, Advanced, Transmit Power.
    However, to get any improvement, you'll have to do the same xmit power
    upping on your wifi router, too (some allow to do this, some don't, and
    there's always the local radio regulations that specify the legal xmit
    power limits to which you need to comply... if you care about those
    limits, that is ;-))

    - Jan

    Jan Wagner, Feb 28, 2005