  1. Sam Nelson

    Steve Larson Guest

    Um, I'll pass. I trust American-based doctors for my health needs.

    Steve Larson, Jan 13, 2004

  2. Sam Nelson

    Steve Larson Guest

    Simple, because the boss has a choice whether to give us the money or not,
    and always has a budgeted amount to work with. Offshore outsourcing is
    destructive to the American economy and the American worker. None of us
    have a voice in whether these companies will put us on the street due to
    replacement by offshore services. As always, the American worker is
    powerless against big corporations.

    Steve Larson, Jan 13, 2004

  3. Sam Nelson

    PC Gladiator Guest

    Sometimes it can't be all about the bottom line. Peoples lives and the
    well-being of their family are at stake. Not long ago, in a land I lived
    used to live in, there was something called company loyalty. People would
    work for the same company 20, 30, 40 years and it wouldn't be all about how
    much they could squeeze out of the company. They would not jump jobs just
    for more money. They took pride in their company. There was a feeling of
    community. Then the idea of day to day monitoring of stock share price took
    over. The long term outlook didn't matter.

    Then people became "human resources", just as replaceable as the pile of raw
    materials in the yard. People that sacrificed for their company their
    entire lives were told to hit the road. Company loyalty died as a result.
    It is now every person for himself even if it means cutting your neighbors
    throat.

    Too bad the kids of today will never know what their parents experienced.
    They'll be too busy trying to scrape by on the salary they need to accept
    because they have to compete with the "human resources" halfway around the
    world. I guess it's time to lower our costs and get ride of the car for a
    donkey cart, the house for a trailer, nice clothes for jeans and sandals,
    turn the heat way down or off, macaroni & cheese day after day, etc.

    First world people with first world cost structures cannot compete with
    third world people and third world cost structures. The decline has
    started. Welcome to the second world America. And all in the name of
    corporate profits. Osama Bin Laden has nothing over some of America's CEOs
    in terms of a danger to our way of life...

    PC Gladiator, Jan 13, 2004
  4. Sam Nelson

    Steve Larson Guest

    The first responsibility of the United States government is to represent the
    best interests of and to protect the American people. I'm not sure how
    offshoring is a benefit to the American people, no matter how the consulting
    firms spin it. Bush is actively engaging his adminstration to open the
    channels for a larger flow of technology outsourcing to India. Now,
    let's see...Bush wants to go to the moon and Mars...wow, look at how much it
    will cost...hmmm, maybe we can outsource space technology to India...Yeah,
    that's the ticket, we can go to Mars for the price of a Happy Meal!!
    Meantime, how many American space technology workers will be out of a job?
    I hope I'm not the only one to make this connection, it seems pretty
    obvious.

    Steve Larson, Jan 13, 2004
  5. Sam Nelson

    PC Gladiator Guest

    Outsourcing to gain access to world class expertise is hardly the case here.
    It is being done to save 30-50% on labor costs.

    PC Gladiator, Jan 13, 2004
  6. Sam Nelson

    Steve Larson Guest

    I'd go back to that day and time and day of the week. I love my job and
    company I work for, and I'd love nothing more than to retire with them 30
    years from now. Reality says I'll probably have another year there before
    layoffs and downsizing. Then I'll face the results of all this outsourcing
    when I can't find work.

    Steve Larson, Jan 13, 2004
  7. Sam Nelson

    PC Gladiator Guest

    Sort of like the Communist Chinese launching our satellites for us only to
    find out they stole the technology and used it for military purposes.
    (under Clinto I believe) Now who would have thought they would do that?!
    ;-) Ya gotta love us Americans. Our greatest strength is our greatest
    weakness. We'll do anything for a buck or to save a buck. Even if it means
    some of us may die down the road at the hands of our "trading partners"
    turned enemies. Taiwan better not be thinking we'll help them when they get
    invaded (it *is* coming) because it'll cost the U.S. too much in trade with
    Communist China. Our economy would collapse! We'll sacrifice the free
    people of Taiwan for our cheap China goods.

    PC Gladiator, Jan 13, 2004
  8. Sam Nelson

    Steve Larson Guest

    agreed

    Steve Larson, Jan 13, 2004
  9. Sam Nelson

    Dick Guest

    According to the 60 Minutes program, it is more like 90%. I.E. the
    salary for a like position in India is about 10% of what it is here.
    It's no wonder so many of them migrate here.

    Dick

    Dick, Jan 13, 2004
  10. Sam Nelson

    Dick Guest

    PC Gladiator, you have nailed the problem with the precision of a
    laser-guided bomb. It is really sad that those days are long past,
    but I guess you can't stand in the way of "progress."

    Dick

    Dick, Jan 13, 2004
  11. Sam Nelson

    PC Gladiator Guest

    They said the actually savings was 30-50% though. The execs must be taking
    the rest in bonuses. You know, for working so hard to put people out of
    work in the US.

    PC Gladiator, Jan 13, 2004
  12. Sam Nelson

    Don Taylor Guest

    I understand that, that was why I clearly said that was my mistake.
    But I'd challenge anyone to find someone watching their ads on the
    television realize that after the ad's great claims about being
    supported, and then the obligatory 0.7 second display of the paragraph
    of "fine print" chosen to be unreadable on a standard television :)
    From what I can tell, Support consists of having them quiz you on the
    phone to decide that your keyboard is dead, instead of you needing to
    come to the conclusion "geeze Zeke, I think our keyboard is busted."
    And there is the option to pay for having the guy drive the keyboard
    out to you, but they prefer to have it sent to you via Fedex.

    Don Taylor, Jan 14, 2004
  13. Sam Nelson

    Don Taylor Guest

    There was a book recently published, "Managing for the Short Term"
    by Chuck Martin, your local library might have a copy. Roughly
    the book says that well, yes, there are the ideals that you are
    supposed to help your company live up to, but then if you do not
    EXCEED the predicted revenue for this quarter there isn't going
    to be a company to have all those fine ideals, so you sacrifice
    what you have to to get the job done, you are caught between the
    needs to satisfy both of those and you compromise any way you have to.

    I felt the only thing missing from the book was a chapter or two
    on "fraud and bankruptcy as short term high profit strategies."
    But, I suppose you can't be too direct with your readers.
    (I predict that the insurance industry, the retirement funds and
    the personal debt industry are the next three plums to be picked,
    they just have too many trillion to not have someone walk away
    with all that. The early signs of that are showing up now)

    Don Taylor, Jan 14, 2004
  14. the un replaced the term 'third world' with 'developing nations' in the late
    70's.

    as warm and fuzzy as company loyalty seems on the surface it came with a
    price. products used to cost much more than do now and were sold with much
    higher margins. remember what a simple long distance phone call used to
    cost during the time of regulation? now they are essentially free, for me
    they are cheaper than a local call. sure we all feel nickel and dimmed by
    small fees like those from our banks... but in yesteryear there was no
    interest paid on your checking account and checks took longer to clear.
    there are thousands of examples like these that are taken for granted. i
    assure you that as a nation we are wealthy, stronger, and better off than at
    any other point in time, despite the outrageous and disproportionate pay of
    many ceos.

    Christopher Muto, Jan 14, 2004
  15. Sam Nelson

    Steve W. Guest

    The GOVERNMENT is not the one shipping the jobs overseas. It is also NOT
    their responsibility to make,keep or restrict any job. Now if you think
    it is then you have never read the Constitution.
    Let me ask you something, Do YOU ever shop by PRICE, have you ever
    bought any foreign made product that had a US made counterpart. If you
    have done either one SHUT UP.
    Every company in the world has to make money who the hell are you to
    tell them they have enough and should stop trying to make more. It is a
    fact that the reason they move jobs out of the country is due to three
    things.
    One - Labor costs, Two - Materials cost Three - Regulatory excess.

    Since the last two are out of the hands of the company if they stay in
    the US guess which one gets hit?
    Then you have people screaming about how the US must have free health
    insurance (like Canada) and then they bitch that the wages are to low so
    minimum wage goes up. You do know who pays for all of this correct.
    Since Government does not earn money and only take it from the working
    people, guess what happens. Taxes get raised and then labor costs go up
    again, why, Your hourly wage is Nothing but a starting point to a
    company. In just about every company I have looked at or been involved
    with, for every dollar paid to an individual there are three more being
    paid out to cover the remainder of your actual costs. Ever heard of
    FICA, or SSI,Unemployment,and a host of other charges that the company
    pays to keep you there.

    Steve W., Jan 14, 2004
  16. Sam Nelson

    Steve W. Guest

    Well that is a true racist comment, got you sheet over your head too?

    --
    Steve W.
    Life is not like a box of chocolates

    Steve W., Jan 14, 2004
  17. Sam Nelson

    Tom Swift Guest

    You're a bigot, plain and simple.

    Tom Swift

    Tom Swift, Jan 14, 2004
  18. Sam Nelson

    Steve Larson Guest

    I believe you misunderstood. I said I would trust American-based doctors, I
    didn't say anything about a race. If you want me to say it differently,
    then I would say that I only trust domestic doctors. That is not racism.
    It could be categorized as protectionism, but it's certainly not racism.
    And it's a pretty huge leap to accuse me of being a member of the KKK by
    your sheet reference. Pretty uncalled for.

    Steve Larson, Jan 14, 2004
  19. Sam Nelson

    Steve Larson Guest

    No flaming, please, this is a discussion, not a soapbox. I think the point
    to be made is that moderation is appropriate, with reference to the offshore
    outsourcing. I believe that world trade is vital, but not to the point that
    it robs the livelyhood of a society within any given country. Regarding the
    government not shipping the jobs overseas, I think you need to check today's
    news items, specifically the talks of the Bush administration with India to
    give them space technology contracts. That is the government taking jobs
    away from our space technology industry, same as is happening in the rest of
    the tech industry. I'm not sure it will be a good thing for America if all
    technology in America ceases to exist, only to be shipped over to India.
    Based on your position, you sound like you are supportive of the Republican
    ideals, which basically provide little protection for individuals, and
    provide power and opportunity for corporations. You're certainly entitled
    to that opinion. I favor a balance between corporate growth and individual
    protections, with a strong sense of American protectionism. I'm not right,
    you're not right, nobody has the perfect opinion on how America should
    operate. The greatest thing about America is the ability to exchange ideas
    without killing each other, although there are a lot of psychos who choose
    to do so anyway...

    Steve Larson, Jan 14, 2004
  20. Sam Nelson

    Steve Larson Guest

    sure, whatever you say...you're entitled to an opinion.

    Steve Larson, Jan 14, 2004