    jg Guest

    Would you advocate open source surgery? dozens of hackers....er....guiding
    the hacking.

    jg, Jan 14, 2004

  2. Sam Nelson

    Dat's Me Guest

    Lol

    Open source doesn't mean that everyone has access to the software you are
    currently running.

    Dat's Me, Jan 14, 2004

  3. Sam Nelson

    Phred Guest

    Phred, Jan 14, 2004
  4. On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 01:25:39 GMT, Christopher Muto employed an infinite
    amount of monkey at an infinite number of keyboard to say in article
    And they were still affordable for the masses, eh?
    Yep, and the reason that they are now affordable is that the infrastucture
    has now been completely amortized.
    Yup, and guess who gets interest on those checking accounts? Could it be
    those that are well enough off to actually be able to have a substantial
    balance in their account? I assure you that the majority of people paying
    the fees do not fall into that category and those that can afford it pay no
    fee.
    Bullshit. In my youth, there needed to be only one wage earner in the
    family. That wage earner was paid a reasonable salary and furnished adequate
    health benefits for the family at no cost or a reasonable cost. Company
    executives were well-paid, but not to excess.

    Somewhere over the past 30 years all that changed. Now, unless you are an
    executive, one income won't suffice. Executives reward themselves with
    extravagance even when the company doesn't meet targets. They lay off
    workers and increase the burden on those that remain. They outsource work
    and put more and more people out of work. The gap between the wealthy and
    the poor continues to widen and eventually there will be no middle class
    folks anymore.

    The only way to overcome the problems in *this* country is to put people back
    to work. Unemployment causes higher crime rates. Unemployment causes higher
    tax rates. Unemployment is the root cause of most of the ills in this nation
    today.

    By outsourcing to companies in third-world countries we are sustaining the
    abject misery in which they live, and to a greater extent, prolonging their
    ascent into democratic societies. We buddy-up to nations which have rulers
    that have no interest in giving their citizens any control over their lives.
    If we, as a nation, truly cared about our own citizens, then we would only
    allow outsourcing to nations that met some kind of threshold on the amount of
    American-made goods that they import. Only in that way could the playing
    field be more level.

    Perhaps I wouldn't feel that way if I hadn't been to many of those places and
    experienced it for myself. But they truth is that all of this is about the
    almighty buck in the pockets of the executives and major shareholders in this
    country.

    --
    Boston Blackie©
    mhm 29x8

    - Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.

    "You don't have to be a member of the KKK,
    to be a wizard under the sheets"

    BostonBlackie©, Jan 14, 2004
  5. You, obviously, were sleeping in grade school when they were teaching
    the rest of your class how to read.

    As evidenced in your quotation of my post below, I was addressing a
    specific tangent brought up by Dick Hughes in his post, separate from
    the "Indian Call Center ..." main topic of this thread. My comments
    on the Indian call center issue were made earlier. Of course, since
    you can't read, you obviously didn't read them either. Nor will you
    be able to read this. But I had to try.

    Ogden Johnson III, Jan 14, 2004
  6. Sam Nelson

    Gus Guest

    I prefer a single-coder system.

    Gus, Jan 14, 2004
  7. Sam Nelson

    Dick Guest

    You are probably talking peanuts with this subject as far as what the
    operating cost is to the company. I imagine Dell's yearly compensation
    package probably is more than the cost of all the support help in India
    combined.

    Dick

    Dick, Jan 14, 2004
  8. Sam Nelson

    jg Guest

    No, but the penguins would have had access before the "operation" began and
    thereby influence the broadband connection, like windoze. I meant in surgery
    a party line of contributers working to produce a unified result a la open
    source, though I realise they don't work in "real time". Or in this case a
    unified patient.

    jg, Jan 14, 2004
  9. Sam Nelson

    PC Gladiator Guest

    Learned how to read just fine and long before starting school. I can see
    you've attended the Muto School of Crap though. In the immortal words of
    Rod Speed I believe it was, piss off wanker... I just love those Brits
    colorful commentary!

    PC Gladiator, Jan 16, 2004
  10. Sam Nelson

    Pepper Guest

    Is it greedy CEOs or consumers?

    Would you be willing to pay a higher price for local tech support? Probably
    not.

    One of the problems is that today you can buy a Pentium 4 computer for under
    $500. The economics of the computer business have imploded the support
    model. If a company were to offer an option for $100 that guaranteed local
    support, who would buy it? What about $50?

    Let's face it, we are our own worst enemies. We all want Nordstrom service
    and Wal-Mart prices.

    Pepper, Jan 18, 2004
  11. Sam Nelson

    HH Guest

    Pepper,
    Well said.

    HH

    HH, Jan 18, 2004
  12. Sam Nelson

    Steve Larson Guest

    I'd be willing to pay more for American made products, especially if it
    contributed to the economic security and sovereignty of the United States.

    Steve Larson, Jan 18, 2004
  13. Sam Nelson

    Steve Larson Guest

    Well said, but not without a well spoken response. Yes, I'd pay more for
    American based support and for quality American made products.

    Steve Larson, Jan 18, 2004
  14. Sam Nelson

    Tom Scales Guest

    Just curious. What kind of a car do you drive?

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Jan 18, 2004
  15. Sam Nelson

    Joan Hansen Guest

    I drive an Olds. Probably some parts are made out of the country but my
    brother would kill me if bought anything but General Motors. :) I do
    agree, I'd pay more for Tech Service, providing I can understand some of
    the southern accents, :-( and have paid more for USA made products, but
    in clothing they are getting harder to find.

    Joan

    Joan Hansen, Jan 19, 2004
  16. Sam Nelson

    Steve Larson Guest

    I was very deliberate to say "quality American made products"... to that
    end, I drive Japanese cars. I don't feel American corporations have
    anything on their radar except cooking the books for their quarterly results
    and ensuring the executive compensation package. It's a shame, Americans
    are capable of so much, but American executives are sucking the lifeblood
    out of American companies. I should probably note that many of the parts in
    Toyota's vehicles come from North America, and they actually have plants
    here in the United States. At least they're not like Accenture, the
    freaking pirates of the tecnology industry, utilizing tech workers based in
    India for 1/10 the cost. Accenture outsources 100% of IT functions for
    companies. Initially, they would hire the company's IT workers under their
    umbrella, then place them right back at the same company to ease the
    transition and retain knowledge base within the client company. Now they're
    increasing staff in their India operations, their intention is to pay those
    people peanuts for the same work that the Americans were doing, then not
    even have American workers on their staff. Everyone should form their own
    opinion about that practice. Is that good for America?

    Steve Larson, Jan 19, 2004
  17. Not really a relevant question as he said he would pay more for American
    support and quality American products. There are few American cars, alas,
    that compare with Honda/Toyota quality. And actually, a lot of those Hondas
    and Toyotas ARE made in the US, just not under Detroit management. You don't
    have much of a choice for quality cars that hold their value.

    The primary reason why this discussion exists is that a lot of people
    are frustrated with a low quality product sold by an American comapny using
    off-shore production. This would be Dell tech support from overseas call
    centers. And, alas again, we don't seem to have much choice here, either.

    Thomas M. Goethe, Jan 19, 2004
  18. Sam Nelson

    Jim Lowman Guest

    I just watched that part of the show a few minutes ago (recorded on DVR
    for later viewing). One of the
    points that was made was that the Indian support person earned about 10%
    of the salary of his American
    counterpart, and that's to say nothing of benefits if, in fact, firms
    like Dell paid their support staff any benefits.

    I thought the part about the consumer benefiting from this arrangement
    was interesting. Except for those
    whose ox was gored, probably the average American doesn't give a thought
    to the loss of American jobs
    when they're buying their discounted merchandise. Okay, in all
    fairness, I didn't, either.

    Jim

    Jim Lowman, Jan 19, 2004
  19. Sam Nelson

    PC Gladiator Guest

    Sorry, but IMO the line that all this outsourcing is occuring simply because
    the consumer won't pay for it to be done in the US is pure bullshit. It is
    done to increase corporate profits and exec bonuses pure and simple. This
    "blame the buyer" line is a crock of crap.

    The prices of PCs were falling loooong before all the massive outsourcing
    occurred. It's called market saturation. Do you think *all* these
    "savings" are passed back to the consumer? Right, in your dreams! Bonuses
    to those that "saved" all the money (and put their neighbors out of work)
    and profit to the company. The consumer gets the tech person reading a
    script that can't be understood.

    Multinational companies have no allegiance to any person or any country.
    They only exist to earn more and more money and if it's at the expense of
    the people that made them what they are, well then that's just too bad. All
    these people protesting and rioting against large multinationals and
    "globalization" may not be so crazy after all, huh?

    Multinationals with billions of dollars to buy influence, candidates and
    write laws will control everything. As more and more companies merge, it
    will only get worse for the average person. The average person will be
    powerless and beholden to large multinationals. Welcome to the slavery of
    the 21st century....

    PC Gladiator, Jan 19, 2004
  20. Sam Nelson

    Carol Guest

    You forgot about company stock owners. When profits are up, the stock goes
    up, and millions of stockowners are happy.

    Carol

    Carol, Jan 19, 2004